Search

Weather and Packing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather and Packing

Hey all! My fiance and I leave in just a little over a week for a 12 day vacation in Tanzania. We will be visiting several of the national parks in Tanzania and then flying on to Zanzibar for some rest and relaxation.
I have a pack list started that I found on here some time ago, but I was hoping you all (with your infinite wisdom) could give me some pointers. I think we have somewhere around 25 rolls of 35 mm film and 10 rolls of Advantix film. So we are covered in that department. Our cameras are ready to go, but we aren't yet. Any clothing recommendations? How cool should we expect it to get in the morning and evening? How warm during the day? And one last question about money... Is it possible to use a credit card for large purchases? We were thinking about taking somewhere in the range of $500.00 cash, but I have no idea if this is shooting to low or to high. We want no regrets with this vacation as we won't be able to take something like this again for some time. Please help.

Thanks so much! And I love reading about everyone's adventures and experiences on here.

Kristy
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 10:44 AM

KristyRyan, my wife and I were in Tanzania this time last year, and the weather was as follows:
Tarangire..comfortable both night and day
Ngorongoro Crater...cold at night, cool early morning and comfortable during the day
Serengeti...hot during the day, comfortable at night

We were doing a mobile camping safari, but if you are doing the lodges, I guess the nighttime stuff won't matter all that much. We took 50 rolls of film and ended up shooting 23 of them (two weeks time). As far as money, we bought most of our stuff at the Cultural Heritage Center in Arusha, and they do take credit cards. And make sure you take enough money for tipping.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:33 AM
sandi

teresaandgreg are right-on re the weather, though you might have a brief shower early mornings. The nice thing about the rain is that it settles the dust of the roads. Rain won't matter much as you're in an enclosed vehicle - and should it rain during evening, most rooms have umbrellas or someone will come to get you for dinner and/or return you to you room. Though I always have a small folding umbrella in my suitcase.

It's cold in the mornings and nights at Ngorongoro because most lodging is on the rim of the crater which is at about 3000', while the crater itself, the Serengeti and other national park areas are in the flats, so warmer.

Do not forget extra batteries for your cameras and take cameras and film in your carryon bags.

As to money - take in small bills for tipping at camps/lodges of the staff; your guide/driver can get larger bills at the end of the trip. There aren't many roadside souvenir stands in Tanzania so you don't have to worry about constantly bargaining, and at the Cultural Heritage Center your credit card will be fine. Separate your cash between the two of you as a precaution.

Otherwise it seems you're set to go. Enjoy your holiday and let us know all about your experiences when you return.

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Kristy, the key to dressing there is layers so you can peel some off as the day gets warmer.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Hi Kristy
(Did you used to be here as DE by any chance? I was just curious as I recall corresponding with someone from here and I think her name was Kristy R something)
Just wanted to say Bon Voyage and don't forget spare camera batteries!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for replying. Your advice is great. Ryan and I have yet to pack, but I'll keep all this advice in mind when we start. We are getting pretty excited now, but still have so many things to take care of before we leave. I'll be sure to update everyone when we get back.

Thanks again.

Kavey: nope, that wasn't me. I have always had the same screen name, although I think you helped me in a previous thread some time ago.

Kristy