Direct flight from Chicago to Joberg?

Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Direct flight from Chicago to Joberg?

I thought I remembered reading here that there are now direct flights from Chicago. I assumed that meant that we didn't have to change planes in DC anymore??? Was I just dreaming this or did I misunderstand the info.
Thanks!
Lily
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM

Unfortunately, there are no direct flights from Chicago to JNB. South African was going to start direct flights last spring/summer but abandoned these plans.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marija

I'm disappointed to hear that but at least I know I wasn't dreaming it!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:36 PM

I find this really confusing, but a friend in the airline business always points out that "direct" and "non-stop" are not the same. So if someone says a flight is "direct," you have to ask the next question . . . Is it also non-stop.

It beats me why direct flights frequently involve a plane change, but they sure do.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM

"Direct" usually means one flight number. For example, South African flight 208 is nonstop from Washington DC to Joburg. Flight 207, the return, is direct in that it stops in Dakar en route (mainly for fuel.) Occasionally, you'll see flights with one flight number that actually require a change of planes somewhere - Iberia is notorious for this - many long distance flights to/from Barcelona actually stop and change planes in Madrid along the way.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

I said direct but I really meant non stop. ARGH!
I was hoping for non stop. Maybe at some point in the future???? I can dream can't I?
After all I used to dream of going to Africa and now I'm planning my 3rd trip!
Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:48 AM

ORD-JNB would be right on the edge of what's physically possible for current planes to handle nonstop, and even then it would only be nonstop eastbound; going westbound the prevailing wind would definitely require a fuel stop, as is now the case with the westbound SAA flights. AFAIK, the only longer current operating flight would be Singapore's Newark-Singapore service. On that flight they can't even fill the plane to capacity (meaning normal passenger loads and little room for cargo) so it loses money for the airline. I can't conceive of there being enough traffic to warrant service from ORD.