Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Dinner Dress (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/dinner-dress-542702/)

jancarol Jul 8th, 2005 03:45 PM

Dinner Dress

I am staying at the Sunset Beach and Coco de Mer in September. I emailed the Sunset Beach asking about dress at dinner time and they replied back that after 7pm men are to wear dress slacks. Now we had no intentions to wear swimsuits but I thought it was very relaxed on the islands ( like tahiti) and men could wear nice shorts and shirt. Is this the norm here on the island or just this resort? Has anyone else stayed here or dined here?
Thanks for any insight:)

NoFlyZone Jul 8th, 2005 05:14 PM

It is quite relaxed in Seychelles but that very few locals wear shorts. Pretty much only tourists are in shorts during the day.

But evenings are less beachy and while one can get away with jeans, a pair of decent long pants and collared shirt is the norm pretty much everywhere. That doesn't mean you have to be formal. Golf shirts are fine but leave the Ts and shorts for the day.

sandi Jul 9th, 2005 04:13 AM

For dinner, we found that most men work slacks and a shirt - all very casual. Linen is nice and if young enough a guy can get away with the baggy-drawstring-type.

If the hotel happens to have dinner on the beach one evening, then he can probably get away with nice shorts... otherwise, long pants.

One pair - tan, beige, white or black - with a few different shirts will work.

jancarol Jul 10th, 2005 06:26 AM

Thanks again for the suggestions. Casual long pants it is.:)

jancarol Aug 4th, 2005 03:32 AM

NoFlyZone

....I noticed when going through alot of the African threads that you used NewAdventure...seems like you did the same package that I am doing in 3 weeks. I am also going through NewAdventure and it sounds like you were very pleased with them. Trying to pack as light as I can for the two of us. My question is do you recommend shorts or long pants for the safari part of the trip. We live in NH, USA so cool weather is not a problem for us at all.
thanks for any help you or anyone can give.
jancarol

3 weeks and counting:)

sandi Aug 4th, 2005 04:23 AM

You don't mention safari in your original thread - pressume you're doing the Seychelles at the conclusion of your safari.

So know that the end August/early September is technically "winter" in East Africa and many places you may be staying are at high altitude. You will find the mornings and evenings cool to downright cold. The daytime temps will probably rise the low-to-mid 70s.

If you have convertible pants that unzip right above the knee, these work for many as an alternative to shorts, but if you want to consider separate shorts... one pair is sufficient. Or whatever shorts you bring for the Seychelles, will work also. In the long run you probably won't need more then pants while on safari.

But do have clothing that you can layer for morning and afternoon/night game drives - peel off as it gets warmer. And if you will be at camps or have a vehicle throughout that is open I would suggest, in addition, to a mid-season jacket, sweater, sweatshirt or windbreaker as your outter piece, you have a thermal-t, a scarf, hat, gloves and wear socks. When the wind picks up it can be downright uncomfortable.

jancarol Aug 7th, 2005 04:00 PM

Hello Sandi,:)
We are going on Safari first and than off to the Seychelles. You told me exactly what I wanted to hear. Just dress comfortably and not to worry about bringing too many pants along with shorts. Will take the advise and bring a sweatshirt too.
Thanks again
Jancarol