Reload this Page >

Dining in Tel Aviv and Nairobi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 10:39 AM
Don Burrows

We will be staying in both these cities during the month of February/98.
Since we enjoy trying the foods of the countries we visit could anyone recommend some restaurants where we could get some typical food of both these countries?

Old Jul 16th, 1997, 11:50 AM
Simrin

There are lots of good places to dine in Tel-Aviv, but one that stands out in my mind was located in a Yemenite/Jewish neigborhood. (Can't remember the name of it, sorry!) I'm sure your hotel concierge could point you in the general direction. If you like to try new tastes, I would recommend this.

Old Jul 22nd, 1997, 04:51 PM
Regina

THE place to eat in Nairobi is "Carnivores". They are known for their excellent food which is native to Africa; game food (antelope, etc.).

The Norfolk hotel also has delicious food, though more continental.

Best wishes.

Old Aug 12th, 1997, 02:03 PM
Delilah

To really eat Kenyan food, your best bet is to get invited to the home of a Kenyan! I lived there for the better part of a year and have visited twice more since then, but I never tasted, in any restaurant, any food like that which I was served in the homes of my friends. Try meeting people, Kenyans are very hospitable by and large, and you wouldn't have much trouble getting an invitation. Take a gift for the host(ess), though.

For instance, go to church, and strike up a conversation after the service. We attended Charles New Methodist Church, and I even was honored to work a curio booth for a month or so to help raise money for their building fund, back in 1986. Lovely people there, who will make you welcome.

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 05:20 AM
Naomi Schwartz

I would recommend any Falafel or Schwama stand you come across. There located on nearly every block. Two restaurants I would recommend for Yeminite food are Suzzanas' in the Neve Tzedek neighbourhood, (near the Suzzane Delal Centre) and Shauls' Inn which is located near the Carmel Market. Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 05:21 AM
Naomi Schwartz

I would recommend any Falafel or Schwama stand you come across. There located on nearly every block. Two restaurants I would recommend for Yeminite food are Suzzanas' in the Neve Tzedek neighbourhood, (near the Suzzane Delal Centre) and Shauls' Inn which is located near the Carmel Market. Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 13th, 1997, 05:30 AM
Naomi Schwartz

Old Sep 12th, 1997, 12:00 PM
Rick

Some of the best food we ate in Nairobi was...Indian! There are many Indians living there, some descendants of laborers brought by the British.
There's an excellent place behind the National Museum on the way to the train station. I'll have to look in our diary. Get away from the big hotels and explore a little, and you should find something good.