Dining in Egypt & winter Dessert clothes

Dec 12th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Dining in Egypt & winter Dessert clothes

I am a middle aged American woman going to Egypt by myself (that is, not with a tour.) Sometimes I will have a guide. Other times I'll be by myself.

I've read that single woman can be treated unpleasantly in restaurants - even in Cairo. Does any one have any suggestions where this won't happen? I will be dressing appropriately for a Moslem county.

I'm going next month (January 2005) & will be going to the Oases in the Western Dessert where it can be "cold." Any suggestions on how cold is "cold" & what to bring to keep warm?

Thank you.

Dec 13th, 2004, 04:46 AM
sandi

We were two women traveling together and even when we spent time touring without our guide, we were never bothered in an upleasant way. We were welcomed into shops (to spend our money) and restaurants for a snack or tea. Likewise, when we were out in the evening in the Luxor area, we felt perfectly safe. You will, however, find your Egyptians who might want to practice their English and we were gracious in conversation with them, but when we took our leave, we were fine.

While I haven't been out to the Western Desert, and definitely wish to experience this on a future trip, from the photos I've seen of how people dress out that way, especially in the evenings/nights - it can be very cold. Many people were wearing winter parkers with scarves and gloves. Out that way is true desert and the night temps to drop drastically. Laying is best, as when the sun rises, so does the heat. However, if would suggest you contact your tour operator or whomever is arranging this portion of your trip for specifics regarding clothing.

I do hope that upon your return you would post a trip report especially on the Desert portion of your trip.

Dec 14th, 2004, 04:54 AM

I would have thought that a "winter dessert" would be warm (like a molten chocolate pudding), whereas a summer dessert would be cold (like ice cream), unless you mean a Western dessert (perhaps Baked Alaska, which is warm and cold ...

More seriously, I'd recommend that you have a look at the journeywoman.com website, which has a section devoted to clothing queries (including what constitutes "culturally sensitive" clothing in various cultures). I would also recommend that you pack a) a lightweight, neutral-coloured polar fleece zip jacket - it adds a lot of warmth without bulk and can be layered over tops and under jackets); and b) a pashmina or two (great for keeping warm on the plane, in air-conditioned spaces, serves as throw when you want to nap and, most importantly, you can cover your head and arms if cultural norms indicate this is appropriate or makes you feel comfortable).
Dec 16th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

I can see myself now -- in the Western Desert with layers of microfiber & pashimas with gloves & parka eating Baked Alaska. Thanks for the humor and the advice. I'm spending 4 days in London on the way over, so I can wear my warm clothes both places.

Mea culpa for spelling Desert incorrectly. My mother is rolling over in her grave.

I will try to send a Trip Report about the desert when I return. I will be gone for almost a month, so it may be a while.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread