Digital photo storage devices

May 17th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Digital photo storage devices

I'm looking for a digital photo storage device to take on safari so I can survive with a single 1GB memory card. I've narrowed my search to the Wolverine FlashPac 7000 (40GB) and the Jobo Giga Mini (20GB). I'm trying to keep the cost to less than CDN$300 (US$240), essentialy the cost of two 1GB CF memory cards.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with either of these products?
May 17th, 2005, 06:21 PM

cocco1,

It may be more than you want to spend but the Epson P2000 looks like a wonderful device.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

I do think you would be wise to invest in a second 1GB memory card just in case anything goes wrong. You are talking about a $70 - $120 investment...just in case.

Good luck.
May 17th, 2005, 06:41 PM

I'm not familiar with those but I would not depend on one card. It will take some time to download the card and if you are on a game drive you're stuck without a camera while it's working.

The one I have, Nixvue Vista, has zero battery life and I have to use mine with electricity. I have to carry enough cards to get through a game drive. And it would be horrible if your only card failed.

It depends on your big your picture files are but I would take at least 3 512mb cards if your files aren't huge.

I searched for reviews on both devices listed and could not find any.
May 17th, 2005, 11:24 PM

cocco1

Back in February I found a great buy on eBay. The VOSONIC VP2160 has "unlimited" storage (you choose the drive capacity separately), is very lightweight and can run on battery as well as mains electricity.As for cost,I managed to pick up a 40GB hard drive version for £128 ($US235).
I used it extensively on our last 2 trips, (Northern Tanzania and Zambia) and would say that it's the second best item I've bought in the last few years - the first is my Canon eos 300d !!
In support of other Fodorites' views, I would not rely on only one card - not because of difficulties with downloading,(this is generally quite easy at any lodge or camp), but because if the card fails, you are left without alternatives. This happened to me in Kenya a couple of years ago and believe me it's a very distressing situation!
I don't actually own any cards bigger than 512mb, but I have absolutely no problem carrying 2 or 3 at this size, together with the Vosonic device.
Hope this helps.
May 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Lin

I just bought a 1G card for my trip and have pretty much decided to buy another, or at least a 512. My camera uses Compact Flash cards. I'm getting really confused about type I vs. type II cards vs. extreme vs. professional - can anyone help? I do realize that the latter are 'faster' cards, but if the storage remains at 1G, what is the difference to me? Does anyone know of a good online resource to explain this? The dpreview and steve's digicams sites don't really devote much space to explaining the storage devices. Thanks.
May 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM

We have one 2 gig card each and an X Drive each (and we cross save all images to both). Or if the laptop is with us, just take one as backup to the laptop.
May 19th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the reality check on my plan to bring only one CF card; I'll be certain to bring a spare CF card.

GovernorPhil: Thanks for mentioning the Vosonic X-Drive. I found a retailer in Canada (free shipping too) and the VP3310-40GB is a better and less costly option than the two I was previously considering. I recently purchased a 300D, so I'm also hoping the X-Drive will be my second best purchase of the year!
May 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM

I have recently purchased an Apacer CP200 to take on safari in June. This will copy my photos to a CD. I have been trying it for a month and am thrilled with it. About US$207.
Jeanette
May 23rd, 2005, 12:16 AM

JeanNZ

The Apacer CP200 really looks like a great buy. The only problem that I have with it is that it does not have an XD card port which places most of Fuji camera cards into a no go zone. If it were not for this I would purchase an Apacer immediately.

I use a XDrive Pro (40 gig) and it is fantastic. My main reason for using the Xdrive is while being a tourguide you will be absolutely amazed to see how many times my visitors run out of flash card space. When this happens then voila out comes by Xdrive Pro and one minute later my vsitors have their full card back for usage. I then copy the info to a CD at home on my pc and pass (or post) the cd on to them the next day. The reason as to why the Apacer CP200 attracts me is because it would allow me to pass the CD on to my visitor immediately. That would be really cool in my opinion.

Thanks for the idea of this device as I never knew that it existed.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

May 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM

Cocco1,

I bought the Wolverine FlashPac 7000 (40GB) and I am happy with it so far ( 2 months now). I am going to Tanzania on the 25th of this month and the real test will happen there. It takes approximately 5 mins to download a 1 GB CF card. Battery life is pretty nice. No need for a voltage adapter as it works on both 110 and 240 Volts(50/60 Hz).

I would definitely get another 1GB card just to be safe. I have 2 1GB's and 2 256M CF's .
May 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM

Lin,

CompactFlash Type I and CompactFlash Type II vary in their thickness. (CFI) cards are 3.3mm thick. CompactFlash Type II (CFII) cards are 5.0mm thick. Further differences are on the amount of power required by the card. (type I interface can supply up to 70mA to the card, the type II interface can supply up to 500mA)

Which camera are you buying the card for ?

The speed of the card is the rate at which it can transfer data (Read and Write). Write speed is specially important (For e.g. if you are shooting in continuous mode or bracketing). This is also dependant on the camera you use. Check out these links for more information.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ory_cards.html

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...LK&unified_p=1

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
May 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Lin

serengeti, Thank you for the info on the CF I and II's - now it makes more sense. I just bought a Canon PowerShot G6. I already have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 that I bought last year, and the 12x zoom was excellent for the game drives, but it has 4 megapixels and I could not resist an upgrade, since I like to crop and blow pictures up. So I'll be bringing both cameras to Africa this summer, but they take different types of storage media. Hmmm I wonder if there are faster SD cards now? I can't keep up! And thanks for the links, I will check them out.
May 25th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Sorry to piggyback on your thread but DH and I are debating whether to get a storage device for our August safari. He thinks we could get by with two or three 1GB cards, I think a storage device is the way to go. We will be on the safari portion of the trip for 9 days. He takes the pretty high res photos on our Olympus C-8080 which usually mean pics at around 1.6 MB to 1.7 MB

He doesn't like the idea of a storage device because you cannot actually see your pictures on something like the Wolverine Flashpac (which is within our budget) and he doesn't want to accidentally lose anything. Any opinions about this?

Roccco: What is the ETA on your Epson?--I want to hear all about it. That device looks fantastic and we might be willing to splurge for the convenience and peace of mind of seeing our photos on the device.
Jun 13th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Hi schlegal1,

I personally was very happy with the storage device. I had a digital SLR and at max resolution, a CF card would not be sufficient. I guess it all depends on how many pictures you are going to take. The wolverine did an excellent job for me. I am very happy with it. Since you need to preview the pictures, have you considered carrying a laptop with you. Just a thought.
Jul 31st, 2005, 07:44 AM

As a professional photographer, I would be very nervous about having my only copy of important files on a single hard drive. When the drive crashes (and it will) you lose your precious images. I always copy my CF cards to two places, usually CD-R and a hard drive, before reformatting the card. I also recommend the SanDisk Extreme III cards. They are very fast and will take a lot of abuse. There's a good reason so many pros rely on them.
Happy photographing!
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:43 PM

We had asked about a photo storage device a couple of months ago.

After everything we saw/heard, we could not convince ourselves to get anything other than the epson p-2000.

We got it this week -- availability is getting easier.

Wanted to let you know it really is easy to use and the image is great. You can also use it to view the compact flash card without loading the pictures onto it. As I am practicing, that comes in handy -- much easier to see than the viewer on the camera.

Thanks for all your help. Only one more thing left to purchase -- a 1.4 ef extender for the canon.
Jul 31st, 2005, 02:56 PM

mpkp - I am glad you were able to come up with a storage device you are happy with. I would probably consider that one as well, if I were in the market for a new one.
Aug 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM

Does anyone know if there is some gadget that would allow one to use an iPod as a storage device? Basically I guess you'd need some way to copy the files from the CF card onto the iPod. That would be a great use for the unused capacity on my iPod!

I have an iPod that I'll have with me (for use on the plane - NOT on game drives!). But there is plenty of space left on the iPod and it would be cool if I could use it as back-up storage for photo files.
Aug 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM

depending on the ipod you have there are things they make that will work. check the apple web site if you do not have an apple store or mac mall.
Dec 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Because there are so few reviews of these devices, I thought I'd share my initial experiences with three. I recently purchased the Fotochute with the LCD screen (by SmartDisk), the 40 GB Giga Mini (by Jobo), and the 60 GB Wolverine, in that order. The Fotochute was delightfully small and appeared to be of high quality, but didn't work at all with our older Canon G2 (it couldn't see any photo files) and worked only partially with our relatively new Canon S500 (it accepted quick downloads of the entire set of photos on the camera, but would not locate and download specific files or folders). I couldn't find any help with these sorts of problems on their support web site and though I considered downloading the firmware upgrade, I didn't because I couldn't find any explanation of what that firmware did and wanted to be able to return the unit without having altered it. After returning that unit, I tried the Giga Mini which I found attractive because of its small size and ability to verify the accuracy of photo transfers. It had a somewhat cheap feeling case (perhaps necessary to achieve its light weight) and a poorly written manual. But much worse, its hard drive failed within the first hour of use (it stopped spinning altogether). This condition persisted for several days, at which point it unexpectedly started spinning again and accepted a new download of photos. However a few minutes later it lost it's ability to see any files on its hard drive or to download new ones. The manufacturer promptly offered to repair it or send me a new one, but time was too short and I elected to return it to Adorama (where I had bought it) and quickly bought the slightly larger and less feature-rich Wolverine. I am pleased to report that this device appears to be very sturdy and well made, has a very clear manual, is exceedingly simple to use, and comes with a nice case and remarkably long cords. It is working perfectly at present. By April I'll report on how well it performed in recording 3 month's worth of photos during my son's study abroad.

Search this Thread