Different Tipping Questions

Apr 16th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Different Tipping Questions

I've got the tipping situation down as far as guides, camp staff, etc.

Can anyone who has been on the hot air balloon tell me if it is customary to tip? I'm thinking about the people who serve the breakfast as well as the "drivers" of the balloon. It is so expensive already, but I want to do the right thing.

One more thing--is the person who picks you up from the airport going to be your guide for the safari? If so, I know I can tip at the end. If not, what is customary to tip the person who picks you up and drives you to your hotel?

Thanks!
Carrie
Apr 16th, 2006, 12:56 PM
sandi

The balloon pilot is paid a salary and probably a hefty one at that. I'm sure the people who present your meal are paid something (if small), so the decision to proffer a tip would be a personal decision.

As to the person who picks you up at the airport - this can an individual who just does airport transfers or it can be your actual guide. Once in the vehicle, ask; this will determine whether a tip is appropriate or not.

Apr 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
bat

Carrie:
As I recall the pilot gave us guidance about tipping for the staff but I can't remember what it was.
Apr 17th, 2006, 08:39 AM

My pilot seemed to be running the entire show, and I would not be surprised if he was an owner. He certainly spoke as if he was an owner and given this fact, as well as the fact that we never soared beyond 50 feet high, I did not tip him. I did, however, give the driver from the balloon company a $10 tip.

Then again, it could be said that I tipped the pilot, if he is, in fact, the owner, $400, which is the price of the hot air ballooning for my wife, since she did not go. Given the weather conditions, I would have had every reason to justify doing a chargeback on my credit card for the price of my wife's hot air ballooning but as an agent not wanting to burn any bridges, I decided to let it go.

Search this Thread