Different Highways??in Jordan

Jan 29th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Norma L

Different Highways??in Jordan

My husband & I will go to Jordan this Spring. Please, someone tell me : What is the difference between rthe Old Kings Highway & the Desert Highway? Or are they the same? Thanks in advance, Norma L.

Feb 4th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Lee

Norma, I suggest you buy yourself a good guide book - essential for a trip to Jordan. All of them have maps of the country showing the highway system.

The Old Kings Highway is the route you will want to explore in order to see all the sites like Karak, Madaba, Petra, etc. The Desert Highway is the more direct route to Aqaba from Amman which is used more by trucks in a hurry - pretty dangerous and boring. Without a book to show you this, you won't know what there is to see. Try the Lonely Planet Jordan/Syria for starters - lots of essential info. I noticed yesterday that Barnes & Noble have several good books for Jordan on sale on their website. Have a great trip.

Feb 5th, 2000, 03:57 AM
Barbara

Hi Norma,

The Kings Highway is a spectacular route that takes you past loads of incredible places. The Desert Highway was built to replace it with a fast link through the desert, and by all reports is very boring. The guide books will tell you the King's Highway's pretty hairy, but it was absolutely fine when we did it. You can get a taxi to take you for between 60JD - 120JD, but I think it would be absolutely fine to drive yourself. You should definitely take the King's Highway if you can.

Search this Thread