diet coke in africa?

May 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

diet coke in africa?

trivial question but i'm hooked on diet coke, can't start the day without it, and wondering if they have it at the safari lodges (chobe safari lodge, a'zambezi lodge, tremisana lodge). price is no object! or should i start weaning myself off it? thanks!
May 17th, 2005, 12:15 PM

You'll find Coke Light, which is sweetened with something other than Nutrasweet. I don't know if it's saccharin or that other stuff, but it's not bad.
May 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
sandi

I can't be specific as to the properties you mention, but more than likely the Diet Coke or Pepsi is probably called "Lite" - it just seems that American's call these "diet."

We were able to get "lite Coke or Pepsi" in South Africa, Capetown specifically. I know we found it at some other places, but can't recall if we were able to get this other then South Africa.

May 17th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Actually I found Coke light in all major cities, but it was about a 50/50 chance of finding it at game lodges (though they all had regular coke). Just to be on the safe side you may want to start a weaning process.
May 19th, 2005, 01:08 PM

How about hot tea? I am assuming that given the British influence in the southern part of Africa that tea will be an option (and hopefully made with boiling water and not put into a carafe in which coffee has been kept). I am NOT a coffee drinker, but I also need a little jolt to get me going in the morning before those early morning game drives.
May 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I love diet coke also. I think the coke/coke-light tastes so different in other countries that you won't know if you are drinking one or the other. I have found coke-light everywhere I've been.
May 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Matnikstym: When will you be at the 3 lodges you mentioned? They are the ones I will be staying at this summer. wouldn't it be neat if we met? We are leaving June 15. Re diet coke: in Kenya and Tanzania, it was available, but I have to have ice, and I wasn't about to order it given the water problems, so I stuck to bottled water. If it is the caffeine you need, I'd follow the advice of the person who suggested tea. I've been told that in So Africa we don't have to worry about the water, altho I am not sure if this is true of Kruger. Have a great trip.
May 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM

To jcasale, they do indeed know how to make tea correctly in southern Africa. None of that "lukewarm water in a little pot with a bag on the side" nonsense! You get a proper pot with boiling water and the tea bags IN it, and another pot of hot water for regulating the strength. Bliss!
May 20th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Oh, yes, the water in Kruger is perfectly safe.
May 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Bliss indeed! Glad to hear I won't have to go through tea withdrawal! And since Diet Coke (Coke Light) is my other addiction, it sounds like I'll be ok.

Search this Thread