Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Did anyone spot the Migration in WEST Serengeti in November?

Did anyone spot the Migration in WEST Serengeti in November?

Jan 26th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Did anyone spot the Migration in WEST Serengeti in November?

As some of you may know, I am a bit of a Wildebeest Migration nut )

Just when I thought I had the migration all figured out for a project I am working on, something happened in November that took me by complete surprise!

Accoring to a good source, the bulk of the herds apparently came down from the Mara in mid-November and were seen WEST of Seronera! Normally they come down in the far East near Loliondo!

I know how it could've happened, but I am wondering if anyone here was in the Seronera/Grumeti area in mid-November? Can you confirm this?

BTW, I hear the big herds are not at Ndutu yet but fast on their way...
Eben

Jan 27th, 2005, 05:12 AM
sandi

While I wasn't in the Western Serengeti in November, you do know there are herds in that area that "never migrate." These might have been the indigenous herds!

Jan 27th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Nope, I am talking a million wildebeest here - a dark mass of bodies as far as the eyes can see, not the small groups you see year-round! I did not see it myself, but hope someone did!

This explains why many guides could not find the migration in recent weeks! It appears the herds are moving in completely unexpected patterns this year.

Jan 27th, 2005, 05:52 AM
sandi

Eben - Sure, millions are lots more then the indigenous herds. But it's still the same story - some years you just never know where the herds will show up. Posted earlier this year was mentioned that last year the herds never got as far south at Nduto for calving. They remained in the Central/Seronera area. One year, when we were visiting in late November, we saw a reverse migration in the Mara. Apparently the herds had already moved into the Serengeti, then, in this case, it was fires that sent the herds north. We were pleasantly surprised.

I can well imagine the guides' frustrations in not being able to find the herds where they should have been. So much for "the cycle of life" - only the wildies know! Ask them!

Jan 27th, 2005, 05:59 AM

We had some folks from here (Fodors) that went in November and they got great pictures of the migration, or at least a large part of it. Parts of them came to different areas where they were.
I am going over in another month to try to catch them on the Serengeti and I'm going all over in this search. I wanted to see the Western area and am staying one night there plus areas in the South and NCA. I know they are not following the pattern they sometimes do, but hopefully I will have the bases covered and will get some good pictures. I got a bigger lens for my camera (just in case I need it).
I saw the entire (it seems) migration in the central Serengeti in l989 and have been hoping to see them again in those masses. The plains were just black with them as far as your eyes could see and we just drove among them for hours. Just incredible. You never get over that sight. Liz
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:29 AM

This makes me feel even better about our strategy of trying to stay in various areas of the Serengeti in November, to increase our odds of seeing the migration SOMEplace since who knows where it might be...
And if you haven't seen this animated map showing the migration, check it out! http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/na...migration.html
I don't know how scientific it is, but it's entertaining! (And note there appear to be at least a couple of herds west of Seronera in November...you can pause it & restart it).

Search this Thread