diamond shopping in south africa

Apr 5th, 1999, 12:34 PM
janie

diamond shopping in south africa

I am going to South Africa in September. My brother wants to propose to his girlfriend around the Christmas holidays, and would like me to pick up a diamond for him while I'm in South Africa because he thinks it may be less expensive there. I will be in Johannesburg for 2 days and Cape Town for 4 days. If anyone can share their experience diamond-shopping there, in terms of prices and shops, I'd appreciate it! Also, if you could let me know if you felt safe going to or leaving the jewelry stores/diamond centers. I'm a bit nervous about that.

Apr 7th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Al

Your brother needs an education in how the diamond business works. Raw stones (uncut) are sold by lot to selected buyers and sent by air to London and Antwerp for further processing and forwarding to such diamond-cutting centers as Amsterdam and New York. If he is interested in a quality stone at a reasonable price, I suggest you not shop in S. Africa. You will not get what you pay for, at least, that has been my experience in talking with those who have shopped there. Almost the entire gem-stone chain of exploration, mining, and distribution is controlled by the DeBeers cartel.

Search this Thread