Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > DH Doelker Safari Rate System & Video @ safariplace.com - have you used it?

DH Doelker Safari Rate System & Video @ safariplace.com - have you used it?

Jun 1st, 1998, 08:56 AM
TC

DH Doelker Safari Rate System & Video @ safariplace.com - have you used it?

Found safariplace.com site offering a "Safari Rating System" book (at $30 + shipping) and a "Look Before You Book" video (2 vols. $60 + $10 ship) that supposedly rates and gives video walk thrus of all hotels, game parks, tented camps, private reserves, etc. etc. etc. in Kenya and Tanzania. I'm a little skeptical as they appear to be a travel agent that also books safaris. Wondering how objective they could be. Has anyone used their service or products? Thanks.

Jan 1st, 2001, 01:54 PM
Jan

I have not booked a trip with Doelker. However, I did purchase their safari rating report and also the videos. The videos show you each hotel and lodge and then rate each one so it definitely was helpful.

Jan 2nd, 2001, 11:47 AM
lee

I have also contacted them and purchased the videos and waiting for them to arrive. I am interested in knowing if anyone has used their services as a booking agent. I believe they charge a refundable fee. My one main concern is making sure whoever i deal with is reliable and reputable especially when so much of the expense is paid in advance.

Jan 19th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Michelle

TC:

My husband & I are in the process of booking through Debbie Doelker right now. She seems very knowledgeable, and as part of booking through her she sent us the video. I thought it was great, very helpful. She really was quite conversant on all of the features of each area, including game viewing, places to stay, etc. She did require a $500 deposit to do the booking, which is applied to our final charge.

The air fare she got us was less than half of what I could find through cheaptickets.com, expedia, or travelocity, nonstop Seattle to Amsterdam & nonstop Amsterdam to Arusha (as you can guess, we're going to Tanzania). Debbie spent an hour on the phone with me before I'd even decided to use her, talking about our preferences and what was available, what was worth seeing, what was not.

I can give you more feedback in the next week or so as we finalize our arrangements. We're going in June-July, so I can tell you more after we get back if it's not too late by then.

Search this Thread