Desperate for help: only a couple of weeks to plan S.A. Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH was just invited to a conference outside Johannesburg for May 26/7. I will tag along and then we would like to spend a week to 10 days on safari. I have been travelling and not even been able to buy a guidebook so I need very quick feedback to make these plans. To minimize travel, I was thinking South Africa and perhaps Botswana. I saw the safari planner from another post that suggest that the private reserves around Kruger are good that time of year but not Kruger itself (which I don't really understand). PLEASE offer some suggestions. I was thinking in the $1000 range per day. Don't know if that is enough for Singita level accomodations. Thank you all.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM

We got married in South Africa last year in September and had a great time. We went to the Kruger area and stayed at Camp Jabulani for the wedding with Elephants( check out review and pictures on tripadvisor.com) We then went to Ngala Tented Camp in the Timervarti to have a tented experience and finished off at Elephant Plains and Exeter Leadwood in Sabi Sands .....unbelievable. We used a local travel agent, Tanya from africadirect.com who was fabulous. We also got her to organize a safari for a friend who went a couple of moths ago at the last minute. Give her a try and let her know that Barry says to say Hi.

Have a great trip...it is unbelievable.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM

We stayed at private game reserve Sabi Sabi last September - at the Selati Lodge. The experience was breathtaking. Luxury accomodations, white glove treatment, and wildlife in abundance. Take a look at
www.sabisabi.com/lodges/selaticamp. I would go back in a heartbeat!
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM

Hi From DC,

I would suggest 3 nights at one of the upscale lodges in Sabi Sands, such as Earth Lodge (where I stayed and LOVED it). I would then move to Victoria Falls for 2 nights, staying at Royal Livingstone Hotel. The falls will be in full force and the best time to see them. From there you can move to Botswana by ground transfer to Kasane and then fly to one or to two camps in the Delta. I did such exact itinerary. You need a good agent to put it up quickly for you.

Enjoy the planning!

Rgs.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:36 AM

Barry, your link for Africa Direct seems to be for a company selling African imports... perhaps you've got a better link?

FromDC, with only a week to 10 days, you might be able to get a taste of all those areas you mention. For instance, Mala Mala, one of the private reserves in Sabi Sands, has a "Safari of Distinction" that gives you a couple of nights in several areas, including Mala Mala, Vic Falls, the Okavango Delta, and Mashatu: http://www.malamala.com/itineraries/SOD.pdf. They've got other combinations, as well.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM

I think the link Barry was aiming for is www.africa-direct.eu. There is a "Tanya Kotze" in their South African office.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM

My mistake, forgot the south africa address

Tanya Kotze [[email protected]]

Have agreat trip, you can't go wrong with the Sabi Sands area
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM

Hi there, I am from South Africa
I live close to Kruger. There are many Private Game Reserves within the Park. I heard that Tinga is just awsome www.tinga.co.za and Ulusaba, Richard Bransons lodge, absolutely magnificent! http://www.ulusaba.virgin.com/

If you can, plan at least 2 days at Summerfields Lodge and Spa www.summerfields.co.za/contact.htm just outside the Kruger, so special place for a husband and wife, I bet it would be your highlight, I promise you! Tell Anri, the girl that does the reservations, Adele Prinsloo revered you!

Do you realise that the big airports are 4 hours drive away from the Kruger? And that you cannot fly to Botswana from Nelspruit, where our closest airport is situated? You have to go back to Johannesburg. I would suggest you rather do you spend some time in the reserves, spoil yourself to magnificient Summerfields and perhaps do some of our wine routes in the Cape, if that interests you?
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM

The Safari of Distinction gives you a great variety in a very short time. That of course means frequent moving around, but in the small planes that is not bad. The price may be pretty dear, but worth checking out. If you have a choice, I would opt for the Tented Camp at Mashatu instead of the Main Camp. If you have a choice at MalaMala, there may be a fair price difference as well. Good luck.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM

Looking at what you want and your time frame, that Mala Mala Safari of Distinction looks very good.

http://www.malamala.com/itineraries/SOD.pdf

I don't know that the quality of accommodations would be up to Singita, as you mentioned. But they'd be very, very nice.

What a great opportunity for you.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM

Why not try getting into Nairobi on a 4 hrs flight after the conference on your out bound trip, fare is aprox $450 from J'burg to Nairobi. A typical authentic safari in Kenya will cost about $200 per day. You get a luxury tented camp, swimming pool and a perfect game driving safari in the heart of Masai mara game reserve, see http://www.magicalafrica.net

Good luck and regards, Kahuki
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great suggestions