Dennis' Pictures From Zambia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the address for my pictures. There were so many to choose from, hope you like them! Dennis

http://www.kodakgallery.com/dennisinzambia
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Great photos, and wonderful photos of wild dogs. I'm always impressed with the lesser seen animals, like servals, genets and elephant shrew (I've never seen one of those).
Thanks for sharing, Michael
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Great, great pictures! You had some very interesting shots! Some of the animals were new to me. It looked like a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM

I can't seem to get into your album, Dennis

I get this message:

"dennis has requested that you enter a password to view this gallery."

followed by a password box.

I don't think it's asking me for MY kodakgallery password as I'm automatically logged in (in any case I did try my own password and that doesn't work). Help!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

I don't know Patty, the account page says no password needed. If it happens again, i'll add a password and put it here. Hope it works!
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 04:19 AM

Enjoyed seeing your pictures.

Patty - I have my computer set to remember me when I go to KodakGallery; you might try logging in with your own user name and password and see if the slide show becomes available.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Thanks Dennis. Wonderful photos. I loved the serval, all those dogs, very interesting to see an elephant shrew, the lion close-ups, the bushbock, the elephants and everything else. The crested egret is a crowned crane and I’d say the genet looks like a civet.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:26 AM
sandi

Another vote on that Serval which is magnificent... not seen often. And yes, Crown Cranes and a Civet. But, hey, not bad for first time out. Can say I was often wrong years back. Lots of pics of those not reguarly captured. The dogs are outstanding. Thanks for these.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Works fine for me today I have no idea why it wasn't working yesterday.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Thanks for posting your amazing pics. Dennis. Loved them all. You really captured the absolute wild character of the dogs. The inside of the lions mouth is also pretty fabulous - looks like a few teeth are missing. It's also great that you took the time to photograph the fauna - great color and clarity.
Sherry
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Very nice, Dennis! Remind me, what kind of camera did you use? Are you getting into the swing of things back home again!?

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

i had the canon powershot s1, totally used it on auto mode. Really went through batteries, but no complaints!
Dennis
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:30 AM

If you dont want to invest an SLR Camera I very much suggest the new Panasonic FZ 30, I took it to Zambia in october and many people say that my pictures are beautiful. it has an amazing zoom, the SLR users I met in Zambia were very impressed with my camera.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

my first day back at work and here i am at fodors!hard habit to break! finally feel back to normal today-those air flights were murder!
Dennis
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I'm sure they were, Dennis. I've never flown from Hawaii to anywhere except back home, but it seems to me that you had an unusual, roundabout itinerary. Do they not have direct flights from the west coast to Europe? ;-) Then onto Nairobi/Lusaka would have been good. It would have driven me nuts to fly all the way to NY from LA! Anyway, glad you survived and had a great time. Crazy about the theft, though. I guess you can never be too careful, but then you don't want to seem distrustful, either.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Dennis, just curious, and I don't have a globe in my office, but are you as far as possible from Zambia? I wonder if its shorter to fly the other way -- that is, through Asia. The price you pay for living in paradise.

Michael
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 09:33 AM
bat

Dennis:
Really enjoyed your slideshow. I feel that the "18 seconds" picture deserves a witty comment but I think I will demur--can't think of anything other than x-rated or might be perceived as male-bashing.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Dennis - I'm happy the trip you anticipated for so long turned out so well. You have some great pictures and saw some great sights! Great dog pics, serval etc. Thanks for posting them.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Finally got a chance to look through all of your pics. Thanks for posting them. Enjoyed seeing all of the smaller animals, particularly the elephant shrew! You have some gorgeous sunset shots too.

If you were to fly via the Pacific, Kenya Airways flies Bangkok-Nairobi-Lusaka or a combination of Cathay Pacific/SAA Hong Kong-Joburg-Lusaka. Don't know whether it's easier to get to HKG or BKK from HNL or whether that saves any time at all over flying via the Atlantic. Perhaps the most direct route is still LAX/SFO-London-Lusaka on BA. You certainly have to travel a long way! Not that any of us feel sorry for you
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

thit cho-yes, i think Hawaii is the farthest point from Africa, 12 hour time difference-it's longer to fly through asia
bat-yes there were many titles that could have replaced the 18 seconds, but decided to keep it "G" rated
Patty-I checked out flying the other way and that's even worse-35 hours and $8000 through HongKong and 40 hours and $4000 through Bangkok. The air on my trip was planned by the original travel agency I booked with, the only thing I kept from them and it was non-refundable. Next time, possibly in April/May will fly SFO to LHR to LUN and back for around $2000.
To the rest: Thanks for your nice comments about my pictures, I was pretty happy with them. Out of 1200 maybe 700 are good, 200 really good, but what the heck will I ever do with that many pics?