Denied boarding Dulles-JNB on SAA

Aug 18th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Denied boarding Dulles-JNB on SAA

I was denied boarding this morning on the IAD-JNB SAA flight. The only blank pages in my passport were the "Amendments and Endorsements," not the ones marked, "Visas." The instructions from the airline to the ground crew say that passengers must have one blank "visa page for endorsements". As noted, I had a blank endorsements page, but not a blank visa page. So, they would not let me board. I had to go the Passport Agency in DC and get new pages. SAA will not let me get on the JFK or ATL flights, even though I offered to get there at my own expense and seats are available. The next Dulles flight isn't until Saturday. So, a word of warning, don't let this happen to you. SAA is not the slightest bit sympathetic -- make sure you have blank pages in your passport that are marked, "Visas."
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

I should note that airline reps told us that this happens to one or two people on most flights. It happened to the woman behind me in line. Eventually, she was able to get on because she was transitting to Lesotho. The last Dulles flight (Tuesday) also denied a passenger boarding.
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:23 AM

shanglan,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully this does not ruin your entire holiday if you are able to travel by this Saturday.

Good luck and your warning will be well heeded by me. I will be going down to get a new passport in the next few days, as I don't trust that my passport is going to turn up and even if it does, I fear that I may be out of consecutive pages.
Aug 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM

We were warned repeatedly of this and indeed UA checked for the pages before our flight.

Once we got to SA, no one bothered with this and put the stamps whereever just like any other country.

Go figure.

Search this Thread