Deeper Africa's Wild Tanzania safari

Dec 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Deeper Africa's Wild Tanzania safari

Anyone out there know much about Deeper Africa? I was close to booking Thomson Safaris' Serengeti and Selous safari, but couldn't swing the dates. Then, I found Deeper Africa's Wild Tanzania itinerary, which is virtually identical to Thomson's, but a bit cheaper. I did notice that Deeper Africa received some sort of award in 2005.

thanks in advance
Dec 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I believe bat has some friends who took a trip with Deeper Africa. Try a search for Deeper Africa here.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 08:07 PM
bat

Hi phernska:

I apologize for the late follow-up. I have been out of town. Patty is correct that I have friends who traveled with Deeper Africa last February on a private safari. They raved about the company--so much so that other friends will be traveling with them next March.

I had already booked my trip when they told me about the company--if I had not already done so then Deeper Africa would have been a serious contender. Because my friends, whose travel opinions I respect, spoke so highly about Deeper Africa--and because I like to torture myself that I should have done something differently than I did--even though I was committed to a different company, I gave their website a close read and emailed and then spoke to one of the owners. She impressed me. I learned that she and her partner (husband perhaps) had turned what had been an avocation, a passion--travel to Africa--into a life change and a vocation. They remind me of Eben, sandi, and Rocco in this regard.

What I liked particularly about them is their business philosophy--they are one of the few safari companies that specifically addresses paying a decent wage to the local folks with whom they work. I liked their approach for their customers that one should consider the trip to be an educational undertaking. They have given thought to how the trip should unfold to maximize that learning process. I liked that they had developed relationships with local researchers and owners of small lodges. I came away feeling that they had a well thought out holistic approach to the experience.

As to the nuts and bolts--ie did they deliver what was promised--my friends assure me that they did.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bat....I also was impressed with them and their values(spoke with Karen several times) and decided to book "Wild Tanzania" for next October.

Again, thanks for responding.

Search this Thread