Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Deciding whether to visit Durban while in South Africa

Deciding whether to visit Durban while in South Africa

May 18th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Deciding whether to visit Durban while in South Africa

I will be in S. Africa in September this year with a friend who is attending a 1 week conference and am trying to decide whether to visit Durban. So far the plans include Cape Town for 4 days, Joburg as a base for 2 weeks and a side trip to see Victoria Falls. As my friend has already been there on a previous visit, she is unlikely to accompany me to Durban. Please let me know what aspects would make it worthwhile and how safe I should feel as a woman travelling solo.
May 19th, 2012, 12:53 AM

Hi bzetraveller

I will be in Durban for just over a week in October, and I am sure there is plenty to see and do. I am a single female and would not let that stop me, just means I would be careful. Have travelled to Sth Africa many, many times, sometimes with nieces and sometimes by myself and have never worried about being by myself, though I rarely venture into the cities but will be on this next trip. Maybe being down Durban way you may also consider Phinda for a few nights although during my stay there did not see elephant or leopard, but had some amazing black rhino sightings, which is why I went there to begin with.

Kind regards

Kaye

Search this Thread