December safari itinerary

Jun 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

December safari itinerary

Hi! Me and my wife will go to Tanzania in December together with my parents and my sister and I would very much appreciate tips and comments on our itinerary.

I've read quite a few postings in this forum but I haven't really seen any threads on December safaris so it'd be interesting to get some comments as to which areas are the best at that time of the year.

We will be on safari six days starting December 17th and I have used a proposal from Roy's as a starting point. We will start in Arusha. If we use Wildlife/Sopa the quoted price is USD 980 pp, for Serena we have to add USD 35 per night pp.

1 Drive to Tarangire National Park. Game viewing in the park with picnic lunches. Dinner and overnight at Lodge.
2 After breakfast drive to Lake Manyara National Park. Game viewing in the park. Dinner and overnight at Lodge.
3 After breakfast, with picnic lunches drive to Serengeti National Park. Game viewing en-route the Lodge for dinner and overnight.
4 06h00 Begin the Sunrise game drive followed by late breakfast at 09h00. 10h30 With picnic lunches continue game viewing for the rest of the day. Dinner and overnight at Lodge.
5 After breakfast,with picnic lunches drive to Ngorongoro for PM Crater tour. Dinner and overnight at Lodge.
6 After breakfast, descend the crater for a morning tour then drive back to Arusha.

Regarding accomodation we are generally quite happy to stay in nicer lodges, but are considering to stay a night or so in a good permanent camp as we would like to have some of that atmosphere.

I would very much like to add some walking safaris and if possible make a quick stop at the museum in Oldupai. I've done walking safaris before and really liked that, plus it's a nice way to break up a long drive. Any suggestions where you don't do a lot of downhill walking?

All comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
Jun 7th, 2005, 02:41 AM

This is not a good proposal in my opinion. Roy should know that December is not the best time for Tarangire but is the best time for Serengeti as wildbeest migration sweeps across eastern areas of Serengeti and possibly Ndutu. They should therefore recommend the right areas and the right accommodation for the period. They have done neither.

I think you should have this schedule

2 nights ngorongoro with two game drives inside the crater and possibly a game drive in lake Manyara on the way to ngorongoro

3 nights Ndutu Lodge or mobile camp which will get you close to the migration. As you will be outside the park you will be able to do walks provided they are booked in advance. Ndutu is also close to Oldupai which you can visit in between your game drives.

This schedule should give you maximum number of game drives in the time available to you.
Jun 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks king! I'll start reading up on Ndutu immediately.
In all honesty I have to admit that I actually asked Roy for a quote on one of their standard itineraries, as at that time I didn't know they also tailor safaris. I'll go back to them with a more open end question. Perhaps I'll wait a few more days to see if any other great suggestions come up here.

Search this Thread