December 11-26 in Cape Town Area

Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

December 11-26 in Cape Town Area

Hello,
I've read most of the strands and got loads of information, but still have a few more questions. I know we're travelling during high season but teachers don't have much choice! My husband and I will be joining my son and daughter-in-law. They will be teaching in Constantia and so we will have accommodations when we are near Cape Town. Questions:
Where would it be best to spend Christmas? Is anything opened (Robben Island, etc) or would this be a good day to drive or just to relax somewhere.
I plotted the following itinerary and was wondering if this was workable:
Dec11-15 cape Town
Dec 16 Winelands --drive back to CP?
Dec. 17
Dec.18
Dec 19 Drive to Addo (hopefully stay there 2 nights)
Dec 20 and 21 Addo and Schotia
Dec 22,23,24 Knyysa/Wilderness,Plettenberg/
Botlierskop/Tsitsikamma/Mossel Bay
1 day of scuba diving, also hiking, etc.
Dec25 Drive back to CT from Knynsa area
Dec 26 Last chance to see CT and sadly say goodbye to CT and our kids!

What I'm having trouble with is the middle section. Should we go to Hermanus even though it's not whale watching season? Should we take several drives throuh Sweelendam to Oudtsshoorn, etc.

Also, is it reasonable to stay in one spot for Dec. 22, 23, 24 and do day trips?

In terms of accommodations: Are kids are new graduates, first year teachers and have no money----we will be "treating" them so have to stick to moderate range accommodations. Sugguestins appreciated. Sorry this is so long.
PS Don't recommend I get in touch with Selwyn----I already did and he's totally booked during this time---waiting to hear from someone else he recommended. (I do hope Selwyn sees this and can answer some questins that might benefit others also. Thanks for your feedback.
Betty

Search this Thread