debit card, money and traveler's checks in Tanzania

Aug 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

debit card, money and traveler's checks in Tanzania

Hi,
My daughter will be traveling to Tanzania (Arusha) in just three weeks. She has a Master Card debit card, but the program she's going with recommends Visa. Has anyone had any trouble using a Master Card debit card in the country? Would you recommend traveler's checks? If so, how long does it take to get them?
Thanks so much for your help.
Aug 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Visa cards are more readily accepted, so I wouldn't bother with MC. As far
Aug 10th, 2013, 09:58 AM

... sorry about that.

As far as Travelers Checks, only for emergency in her home currency so can be redeposited once home. Why not? Because, few places accept, not even banks and if some establishment does... the worst exchange rate.

Get to your bank or open account in another that provides a VISA debit/ATM card; also a credit card if she finds a reason to use, but for sure never to withdraw funds from ATM as it's treated as 'cash' and finance charges accrue immediately. In fact, it's often suggested you have two (2) different ATM cards just in case one doesn't work or it gets eaten (this can happen anywhere in the world).

Of course, it's always possible some ATM, shop or restaurant will accept ATM or Credit Card with MC logo, but if not... who really wants to have to deal with such at miles from home in the middle of nowhere.

ALSO make certain the bank knows she's traveling, to where and thru whatever other countries - date departing home, when returning (I always add a day or two in case of delays). This way the bank doesn't put a 'hold' on her a/c for activity from some foreign destination.

Hope this helps.
Aug 11th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandi! We will be getting her a Visa Traveler card, just in case she has trouble with her MC. You're right, it's a good idea to have two cards. I think we'll forgo the traveler's checks since, as you say, so few places accept them. Do you know if Barclay banks are in easy to get areas in Arusha? - they seem to accept MC.
Thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread