Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Death of a Legend (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/death-of-a-legend-269637/)

jweis Jan 11th, 2008 11:29 AM

Death of a Legend

Wilderness Safaris new web site is up and there is a news item of interest regarding one of the Duba Boys...

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/ne...?newsItem=4475

Regards, James

sonali74 Jan 11th, 2008 11:50 AM

Hi James.... this is very sad news indeed.... the male who is still alive will find it tough to maintain his territorial rights, maybe parts as indicated have already slipped out of his control.....

Sonali

jweis Jan 11th, 2008 12:17 PM

Hi Sonali,

Yes, it's always a bit sad to lose an animal that so many have seen, photographed and were awed by...

Still, those 2 lions seem to have lived in power for nearly twice as long as is typical for male lions... maybe even longer by some accounts.

It will be interesting to see what develops there now. It would probably be beneficial for the genetic stability of the prides at Duba to see a new male lion(s) somehow make it into the area and take over.

I'm not sure anyone knows whether or not the Skimmer males are descended from the Duba Boys (and related to the mature females) or not, but extended inbreeding is certainly not a good thing.

There have not been many cubs surviving at Duba in the last few years to my knowledge.

James

waynehazle Jan 11th, 2008 12:20 PM

Sad, but at least it was nothing stupid that people did that cause him to lose his life. Simply time & nature

PredatorBiologist Jan 11th, 2008 03:43 PM

Many times I have come to the board a little afraid this news would be there as I opened certain headlines. At 16 years of age the Duba Boys have defied all odds in maintaining a pride so late in life, and in their younger days they mated with and controlled three, possibly even four prides at one time. The most dominant lions I have ever heard of and the first males that I ever saw in person. My living room features a 20 x 30 portrait of my first sighting of the Duba Boys and next to my desk is my favorite picture ever of a Duba Boy entering a channel to swim across after I witnessed both boys run full speed and leap the entire channel (a good 20 feet in width) to see off an enormous male intruder. More inspiring animals I will likely never see.

Thanks for posting the news, I have to go weep now.

Kavey Jan 12th, 2008 01:43 AM

I'm sorry to hear this news...

I never saw the Duba boys, though I would have loved to. I almost included Duba Plains on my last visit but couldn't visit every camp I wanted to visit so this one was dropped.

I have always enjoyed reading about the Duba boys from other Fodorites and also seeing your photos.

Oddly enough, I recorded Relentless Enemies from the TV last week and have it still to watch.

jjmb Jan 12th, 2008 02:31 PM

My husband and I spent an awesome 5 days with the Duba Boys (and James 007)in June 2006. Like Predator Biologist, I also have photos up in our house of the Boys. But lately I had this feeling I would be seeing this post soon. Amazing that they lastest as long as they did.

Vivid memories of those 5 days with the Boys.....we had been following the Tsaro females as they followed the herd, and we had seen the Boys heading off in the opposite direction, so once the Tsaro Ladies decided to take a break, we pulled away a safe distance for a bush break. We were alone in the jeep with James, and there were 2 other jeeps 150 metres away or so. James checked the bushes to make sure we were safe, and after we got back to the jeep, James had his turn. As I was sitting there fiddling with my camera, something (a feeling) made me turn around and look behind us. There, peaking out from behind a bush about 100 metres away was one of the boys. "James", I called, "one of the Duba Boys is watching us." Keeping an eye on him, James got back in the jeep, radioed the others, and then quickly positioned our jeep between the Duba Boy and the other jeeps, as those guides rounded everyone up. As we pulled the jeep into position, we could see that both Boys were behind the bush. But somehow, and I am sure that I am oversimplifying it, the look on the Boy's face when I first saw him peaking at us seemed more curious than threatening. After all, it isn't very often that they would actually see people outside of the jeep. A little while later, we watched as the Boys and the females reunited with the usual warm greetings and cheek-rubbing.

Many many great pictures of the Boys sitting in the morning light, full manes blowing.

The end of an era.

bigcountry Jan 13th, 2008 02:36 PM

thanks for posting James. i knew the day would come and i have been surprised how long they lasted as when we saw the brothers back in sep 06 their teeth were so worn down they had to let the females open the buffalo carcus to eat. still a sad day though and duba will never be the same.

atravelynn Jan 13th, 2008 06:26 PM

Thank you for the post. Sad, but what a reign they had. I hope Junior does well and the prides of Duba Plains flourish.

Kavey Jan 14th, 2008 01:15 PM

Watched Relentless Enemies tonight, hadn't seen it for a while. Those are/were some FINE lions.

HariS Jan 16th, 2008 08:53 PM

Thanks, James ...... sad to hear, but, they have had their reign at the top for a long time. It will be interesting to watch the pride dynamics now.

Any idea about the whereabouts of the Skimmer pride in recent months?

Cheers
Hari

MisterAviator Jan 16th, 2008 09:36 PM

I just returned from a 4 night stay at Duba Plains, and according to everyone there, the death of the Duba brother may have had a serious impact on the whole lion dynamic in the area. After his death, the main pride was not seen for nearly two weeks. Only on our last day there did we finally see four members of the pride: Junior, Silver Eye, and two other females. The Skimmer pride has been nowhere to be seen.

HariS Jan 16th, 2008 09:45 PM

Did you see new lions in your 4 days?

If most of the lions move away from Duba Plains, maybe we see cheetah on the plains in the distant future?

jweis Jan 16th, 2008 09:53 PM

Hi Hari,

Not too sure what the cheetahs will be eating at Duba...

there aren't any impala at Duba and lechwe are not a staple diet for chettahs really.

The lions will stay there, it's just that the loss of their dominant male(s) will cause a temporary disruption.

I really hope that new males will somehow make it into the area now.

James

HariS Jan 16th, 2008 10:02 PM

Hi James,

True. But, i have once seen the two legendary cheetah boys kill and eat red letchwe. But, as you will know those two are real legends .....

Cheers
Hari

PredatorBiologist Jan 17th, 2008 07:29 AM

As long as there is a buffalo herd of 1,000 circling around Duba will continue to support lions. When I was at Mapula lions we were tracking had crossed over to the Duba Plains concession. I don't think it will be too long before some males realize there is an opportunity to be had.

atravelynn Jan 17th, 2008 01:52 PM

Only Hari could wonder if Duba Plains will become cheetah country!

So were you wondering that from Mala Mala or are your home?

rickmck Jan 17th, 2008 05:52 PM

For Hari...

Apologies James, for further hijacking this thread, but Hari -- for only USD 2.99 you can now download a cell phone ring tone of a Cheetah purring and the cost benefits the U.S. National Zoo in Washington, DC, a part of the Smithsonian Institution (I'm geting mine...). Details here: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Support/Ringtones/

Cheers!

HariS Jan 17th, 2008 06:13 PM

Hi Lynn,

Sorry have been busy after MM and haven't posted in a while ..... yes back home. They have lion cubs all over the place at the moment and not to forget that Giant kingfisher on the bridge.

Rick: Thanks for this and you bet i will download it ....

Cheers
Hari

sonali74 Jan 17th, 2008 11:17 PM

Hey rick, do you have a link to a ringtone available of a lion roaring.... post it if you have.... Sonali