Dead Sea Spas/Travel Safety/Tour Operators

Jan 5th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Karen

Dead Sea Spas/Travel Safety/Tour Operators

My family is planning a trip to one of the spas on the dead sea this summer. How safe is this area for Americans? How safe is it for my daughter and myself to explore on our own while my husband is in another area?Also, we would like to visit the rest of Israel; but are concerned about the safety of Americans. Would we be better to travel just to the spas and avoid the rest? Is there a tour operator who operates tours that include 7-day visits to one of the Dead Sea spas? Would this be the safest way to travel?

Thanks,
Karen

Jan 5th, 2001, 06:14 PM
John

Hi, Karen,
You ought to be as safe at the Dead Sea as anywhere - there really aren't any towns around to speak of; anybody that's there is there for a reason. The kibbutz hotel and spa at Ein Gedi are very pleasant and informative, but...
Seven days? This SUMMER? Man, that's a lot of days, and you must be truly in love with volcanic heat if you're planning a week at the Dead Sea in the summer. We were there in November a couple of years ago and it was in the 90s F then, and walking around the top of Masada or up Wadi David (both things you should do, by the way,) I thought by wife's wristwatch was going to melt. I can't imagine visiting in mid-summer.

As far as tour operators, I'm sure there are a number based in Jerusalem, or you can look into package deals directly from the spas. I bet the prices will be really reasonable in mid-summer. Good luck!

Jan 6th, 2001, 09:32 PM
living

At the moment...Dead Sea area is fine. Sometimes the northern route from Jerusalem is questionable vs approaching from the South. We just went last month though and it was fine. You are fine to explore in that area w/out your husband. But 7 days is a bit much I think and yes, the summer would be pretty hot. Ein Gedi (the kibbutz) is a decent place to stay, but just set your expectations that the accomodations are somewhat dorm like in sparseness. Nice hiking nearby though, perhpas you might like to stay 1 or 2 nights in Ein Gedi and then a couple of nights little bit further south. Locals say that the Hyatt is the best, (I don't have a personal experience there) but keep in mind that that area is a row of hotels.
Eilat is in the southern tip a resort area and you can travel to Petra and/or the Sinai from there. (Herrods is the best in my opinion and also has a spa area that you can stay in) But I wouldn't go there in the summer it's even hotter than the Dead Sea area.
The safety issue across the country can be a day by day thing. Won't know more 'til you get closer to when you'll be here, and then there is a phone number that you can call to check on places.

Jan 8th, 2001, 02:31 AM
Riche

Hi Karin
I am a tour operator in the region and I visited Jordan only three weeks ago.
I would suggest visiting the Jordan shore of the Dead Sea. This area is safe, calm and peaceful. I recently spend 10 days in the region and encountered no difficulties at all.
I would not recommend the Israeli shore at present.
Visit our website
weww.tourism.to
and write if you need information and/or assistance
Best wishes
Riche

Search this Thread