Day Trip from Spain

Aug 11th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Day Trip from Spain

It is possible or advisable to do a day trip from Spain to Morocco? If so, how far is Tangier from the ferry landing and how do you get to the city? What about an overnight stay in Morocco?

Thanks.
Aug 17th, 2003, 04:26 PM

I did the day trip back in 1990. Was staying at a condo/hotel in one of the towns just east of Marbella. It was a standard tourist thing to do. Bus picked up early in the morning and drove to the port (may have been Algeciras, maybe not). Then a hydrofoil across the Strait of Gibraltar. The tour group then hopped on a bus for a tour around the city. Before boarding that bus, we turned over our passports. The tour, as I remember it, stopped at a Malcolm Forbes mansion, saw a great view of the city, took a drive through narrow streets and visited some historic site, and of course a stop at a carpet store. Bus to port, pick up passport, hydrofoil, and bus back to hotel that night.

It was fun, Tangier looked like it would be an interesting place to stay.
Aug 19th, 2003, 01:01 PM

I too did a day trip from southern Spain (Algeciras and another city are the options). The trip was just as mrwunrfl described. Short, but not so sweet IMO. Granted I was on a very standard tourist day-trip, but Tangier was not a fun day trip for me. Now I know why people use Tangier, and Tijuana as a disparaging point of reference. But, if you're only going for a day or two, why not? Make your own decision. Or fly to Marrakech and spend a few days there instead if you can. I have heard wonderful things abut other parts of Morocco. Safe travels.

Search this Thread