Original Poster

Day trip -- Cairo to Alexandria?

During our trip to Egypt, Grand Circle is
offering an optional day trip to Alexandria
from Cairo. Would that be worthwhile, or
would we mainly be traveling back and forth
and not have time to see much? Thanks!
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:39 AM

it's woth, there are some nice historic places in a lex u have 2 see but i'm not sure if one day will be enough for u or not.
Aug 11th, 2003, 03:20 AM

I took the day trip from Cairo to Alex. and it was enjoyable.We visited the Roman Museum, the catacombs and a recently excavated Roman Forum before returning to Cairo.With all of that said.....if I where to do it again, I would stay in Cairo and spend the extra time at the Cairo Museum.It is so large that you can easily spend the whole day there and it has the greatest collection of artifacts in the world.Alexandria deserves more then one day of your time. I don't remember the driving time between the two but its at least 4 hours round trip and I wouldn't waste that time. Good luck & have a good trip.
Aug 11th, 2003, 05:23 AM
katybird

My husband and I went with Grand Circle Dec 02 to Egypt and the trip extension to Jordan. My husband did the Alexandria trip. Unfortunately it was scheduled our very last day in Egypt after returning from Jordan. We were tired!!!They have now revised the schedule and it is at a better time. It was a very long day...He left very early in the morning for a 2 hour train ride to Alexandria.They did not arrive back to the hotel for dinner until after 9:00 pm. Dinner was NOT included in that tour. They might have changed that. You might want to check. My husband said it was a very busy day. One day didn't seem like enough time but it gave you a taste of the area and he enjoyed it.
Our trip was amazing! It was our first Grand Circle trip. In fact, our first trip out of the country! WHEW! What an experience. Be sure to do the Abu Simbel tour.There is NO question about that being worth it! Enjoy your trip! I hope you post a trip report when you get back.

Search this Thread