Reload this Page >

AFRICAN SAFARI - TRAVEL ALONE ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 1998, 11:07 PM
Kevin

Does anyone know a great company that I could travel to Africa and go on safari for approx 3 weeks and "see it all". The wife has no interest in Africa and I want to go before the poaching and civil wars kill everything.
Very interested in a gorilla Trekking in Uganda or nearby too. Want 1st class company the whole way.
Maybe even include some of Egypt.

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 01:58 AM
Noelle van der Waag

Dear Kevin

I don't know if there is a company that offers a tour of Africa as a whole as its rather a large continent and not that easy to get around so three weeks is really pushing it. You will have to look at areas, North Africa, West Africa, Central Africa or Southern Africa.

As for Uganda I read about a month ago that Mount Ruwenzori Park and Queen Elizabeth Park have been closed due to the civil war and Rwanda and Burundi are OUT so you'll have to give the gorillas a skip, besides I think they have been all but wiped out in the last three years.

I would reccomend that you take a good package tour if you are travelling alone but I obviously can't reccomend one from this side as I don't know who operates in your area.

Regards

Noelle

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 08:00 PM
Jackie

I travelled to east africa alone and organized the
safari thru Overseas Adventure Travel in Massachusetts. They do trips of varying degrees
of comfort, and are quite professional. After the safari and climbing Killimajaro I contacted Victor
at Lets Go Travel in Nairobi and he organized
several other trips to tanzania for me.
I agree with prior posting 3 weeks isn't very long
and you might focus your plans on one section of
africa and save the rest for another time. Why
doesn't your wife want to go ? Perhaps she doesn't know that it can be very posh and comfortable
depending on the hotels or permanent camp sites
selected. In East Africa many of the brits have had to turn their properties into hotels to avoid confiscation or very high taxes. Thus some of the
campsites are very elegant indeed

Old May 24th, 1998, 06:38 AM
SHERILYN EUSTICE

I see no problem for a man to travel along, would not recommend a woman do it. I traveled to Kenya and Tanzania and used Abercrombie and Kent, which I have used several times when traveling in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, etc.

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 05:27 AM
JJ

Try African Travel Co. We have used them twice. I found them very well priced for the quality of hotels and game parks. They offer several itenererys. Found the Kenya trip facinating. The hotels were really posh and also the tented campsites. Orental rugs on the floor of the tent, private bath, hot water bottle in your bed everynight. You would have no problem going alone. But I think your wife should try to be more objective, but a single man on a tour is like a jewel. Go, you'll never regret it.

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 07:26 PM
Janet

My daughter(15yr) & I will be going to Tanzania for about 3 weeks the end of December-January. Would appreciate any info on safety, things to see, things to not do, and did you have any concerns re: health or food while there? Thanks!

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 03:19 PM
Jeanne Luukinen

To Janet Adair, <BR>I noticed you had a post last August indicating you were going to Tanzania in Dec-Jan. <BR>I am contemplating a trip mid-December 1999 and am interested in the weather at that tme of year ... and comments on your trip. <BR>Thanks, Jeanne Luukinen

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 11:28 PM
April

It depends on what kind of trip you want. If you want to rough it a bit you could try Guerba tours. You'll have to work though - pitch your tent, build fires, gather wood, push the truck out of mud - whatever's required. The food and itineraries are quite good though. Personally I find three weeks of camping enough. You might want to consider a tour that includes the coast for a change of pace. I think health is always a concern when travelling in Africa, Janet, and I was happy that Guerba was very hygiene conscious. <BR>

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 02:29 PM
Kevin

There is a great site called the Adventure Finder, which lets you search for companies that offer tours and request free brochures. You can search by country or by activity (eg: safari) <BR>Their site is at: <BR> <BR>http://www.greentravel.com/refer/uktravel/xnet <BR> <BR>Have a great time - Africa is a wonderful country to visit despite its many problems.