Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Dar es Salaam hotels: Peakock, New Africa, or Millenium Towers

Dar es Salaam hotels: Peakock, New Africa, or Millenium Towers

Apr 5th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Dar es Salaam hotels: Peakock, New Africa, or Millenium Towers

Hello,
I will need to stay two nights in Dar es Salaam before heading off on safari. Does anyone have opinions on the Peakock, the New Africa or Millenium Towers? I am a single female, so hotel security is an issue, but I am also trying to keep the cost to under $100 a night. How are their locations, what is in the immediate surrounding areas (markets, shops eateries?). Thanks
Apr 6th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Hi Sandy,

I have stayed at both the Peacock and the New Africa as a single female. I felt comfortable at both from a security standpoint.

My only complaint was at the Peacock. It is located right next to a very busy highway, and can be noisy.

I would pick the New Africa. Nice rooms, great thai restaurant on the top floor with view of the harbor.It is also more centrally located for walking around.

I don't know anything about the Millenium Towers.
Apr 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice. A personal opinion always helps.
Apr 25th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Sandy,

Just back from Dar a couple of days ago. I stayed at the Holiday Inn (only because that is where I was booked for work, it was fine, but nothing special).

The New Africa is in the downtown of Dar near the harbour. It is a definitely in the heart of things -- easy walk to downtown offices,shops and stuff -- not exactly a major tourist area, but there are things worth seeing. If you've spent time in other large African cities, you'll probably find Dar Es Salaam more relaxed than others (definitely less stressful than Nairobi, Joburg, Lagos, etc) but it is still a very bustling place with a lively street sceen. You have to keep your wits about you - you can definitely walk around during the day but take taxis if you go out at night - and never be stupid about carrying lots of money, jewelry, flashing expensive cameras, etc. Not much in downtown is open after dark, and there aren't many restaurants in the vicinity.

The New Africa is an older hotel that has been renovated -- it is international class, not luxurious, but it semmed very comfortable. The Thai restaurant on the top floor is top notch (and has a great view out over the harbour) - I highly recommend eating there if you like Thai food. I don't know if you can stay under $100 there -- when I checked they were charging $125 for singles that looked over the pool, $135 and up for those that looked over the harbour. The staff was friendly and professional.

The Millenium Towers is brand spanking new, and is located north of downtown about 5 km or so, going out Bagomayo Road. Despite being out of downtown, it may actually be closer to things you want than the downtown locations. The Mwenge Handicraft market is nearby, and it is definitely the place to go for souvenirs if you are shopping (bargain HARD!), and it is closer to a number of newer small shopping centres than the downtown area is. A very nice (fixed price, but reasonable) African art store is up the road just a but. There are a ton of restaurants that the expats seem to favour which are located closer to here than to downtown (Malaysian, Indian, Italian, etc). On premises is a medium fancy restaurant, and next door is a Steers (South African burger and chicken chain restaurant). There is Shoprite market in the complex where the hotel is, which could be convenient for picking stuff up. A lively outdoor cafe that Tanzanian friends took me to is directly across the street.

The hotel itself seems to have all the modern ameninities, and is done in international modern style (looking vaguely IKEA-ish). They advertise internet is all the rooms, and there is also an internet cafe at the shopping centre next door. When I was there last week they were advertising rates of $80 USD per night. I'm planning to stay there when I go back in June.

One other choice you might consider is the Protea hotel. They are a South African chain, and are located at the tip of the Masini peninsula (near the Millenium). This is the part of town where most of the expats hang out, with embassy and NGO types. As a result, there are restaurants and shops around to catrer to western tastes. They advertise apartment suites (small kitchenette included, also with internet,) for $85 USD. I drove by it but didn't stop in -- I've stayed at Protea hotels in other parts of Africa and found them very reliable.

In general, you'll find Dar is very spread out, so going anywhere will often involve taking taxis (negotiate HARD on the price before you go for a trip -- ask someone at your hotel what it should cost --and don't believe the laminated sheet the driver will pull out with prices on it -- they print that especially for tourists and they are double the normal price!)

I like Dar a lot -- a nice city with a great feel to it -- enjoy your trip.

Terje

Search this Thread