Dar and Arusha hotel/B&Bs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dar and Arusha hotel/B&Bs

Hello all,

DAR : Searching for cheap hotel for one night only, not far from airport -
We'll be in Dar es Salaam just for one quick night before flying to Arusha this September. Our budget = around $40 US, no more. We'd like to be close to the airport, since we're flying in, then out the next day. Any suggestions ?

ARUSHA : Looking for hotel or B&B in Arusha for a couple of nights.
I've read and checked out some of the places people in this forum stayed at, but most are outside of town. We need to finalize the trip with the safari agency, buy bus tickets, shop a bit, etc. so we prefer being in town, although the Outpost lodge looks quite nice. We like to have a bathroom in the room, no need for impressive lobby, just plain and simple. Our budget is around $30 US/night. Any suggestions ? Anyone stayed at the Flamingo, around $15 US, recommended by Sunny Safaris but I've read there are frequent electricity failures and no hot water...

Thanks in advance for your help !
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Globe_T,

Most people at Fodor's are staying at much more expensive accomodations. But today is your lucky day as I stayed at the Flamingo on Oct 21, 2006. Very basic but clean and electricity and hot water worked the night we were there. Mosque across the street so be prepared for an early wake up when the call to prayers is broadcast. We were on the second floor if I remember correctly and there was a smal balcony. It was really neat to stand on it and look out over the local section of Arusha and see and hear the sights and sounds of the city. It was $14/night. Bathroom was in room, net on bed. The neighborhood can be rough after dark and we were warned not to walk around but did anyway with no problems. There was a security guard there 24 hours.

In Dar on Oct 2, 2006 we stayed at the Sleep Inn Hotel:

http://www.sleepinnhoteltz.com/.

It was ok, better than Flamingo and was around $40. Avoid restaurant as mood and service were not very good. Near market area (although government was evicting some of the seller when we were there)and a ways from airport, but almost all places are. See tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...es_Salaam.html

George
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Eh George, many thanks, I'll look into your suggestion for Dar right away !

Hope to hear from other travelers too !
G_T
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM

That should have been "food and service" but the mood wasn't that great either. If you want to talk about budget travel in Tanzania, post an email and I'll contact you.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Here I am, you can reach me at
[email protected]
Thanks!