Dakar to Senegal - Who's been there?

Feb 21st, 2002, 07:50 AM
chris

Dakar to Senegal - Who's been there?

I have been to many counties around the world and would like to visit this region but as always political and safety issues are the main consideration. I would love to here people's account of good and bad experiences in this region of the world??
Airlines, hotels, ground tranportation, amazing physical and cultural must sees, and most importantly area to avoid. There are so many countries in this region and in my initial rescearch I have found that opinions are not always consistent so it makes it hard to put together an intinerary without real stories from real people. Many thanks and safe travels!

Feb 21st, 2002, 07:51 AM
Chris

I meant to put Dakar to Lagos. Thanks again

Mar 5th, 2002, 10:29 AM
angela

Chris,
I don't know about Dakar to Lagos but we went from Dakar to Mali last year....there's a train that runs from Dakar to Bamako tho it is often out of comission. Senegal seemed safe to me...there was a horrendous scene at the airport and clearly alot of scamming but things seemed to be better once you made it into town though you have to be very cautious on the street and be aware of who is behind you. Mali is not to be missed and I would highly recommend it...especially the Dogon country, and Djenne.I've travelled alot in African and Mali stands out...particularly because there are very few tourists and even fewer Americans or Brits.We went with a British overland company from Dakar to Timbuctoo (Guerba). It was my first ever tour and I was very worried but it was great...after all what type of people go to Mali!. You can certainly travel in West Africa on your own but the transportation infrastructure in Mali is very limited and it seemed to me that hitching etc wasn't as easy as say in southern Africa. Plus because we were in a small group 9 people we had our own boat for 3 days up the Niger...on your own this would be too expensive or you would be restricted to the ferry.If you went alone you would need to leave a lot of time for missed connections, cancelled trains/buses planes etc.
We were in Ghana just for a couple of days and it was very easy to get around, seemed very safe, culturally and historically interesting. It seemed like a great place to go back to when we have more time. Ghana seemed like a wonderful destination for independant travel.

Search this Thread