Dahshur-Saqqura-Giza too much for one day?

Jul 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Dahshur-Saqqura-Giza too much for one day?

We have limited time while visiting Cairo. I would like to try to see Dahshur-Saqqura and Giza in one day, but have been told it would be very tiring? Generally we are not the type to linger all day at sites, but spend a reasonable amount of time and move on. Is this day too adventurous to be enjoyable?
Jul 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM

If you plan to spend the majority of the day, and take a break for lunch....then, yes, I think it's do-able.

Uh.....what time of year? That could have an impact.
Jul 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

We will be there in November.
Jul 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM

That should be fine. I would be more hesitant if you were doing this during the hotter months.
Jul 27th, 2010, 12:31 AM

You can definately do all 3 easily in a day. You should start no later than 8 a.m. If you do that, you will be through Giza by 4 or 5 about the time they want to get you out.

Depending on YOU and your interest, you may want to do a fast lunch somewhere, but there are many people that I do this tour with, that can fit in a nice leisurely lunch with as well.

If you are super fast at looking at everything, you can squeeze in Memphis too, but I discourage that site as it is NOT the temple/city you may think you will see. It is only an outdoor museum with pieces of statues, etc sitting around in rows with signage on them.

Skip the Carpet School if you want to see it all too. It is the biggest waste of time. If you want a carpet, buy it from the stores the Egyptians buy theirs from, downtown or elsewhere for better quality and prices.
Jul 27th, 2010, 05:55 AM

We visited those three places on the last day of our trip in February. We also went to Memphis as our first stop. I agree with Casual Cairo that you can easily skip Memphis because it is the least interesting of the four stops and four stops is too many.

I will say that I was totally exhausted by the end of the day, but I would not have missed any of those three sites.
I found Sakkara to be particularly interesting-make sure you don't skimp on your time there. Besides the pyramid, there is an interesting museum and a few places to enter at the site. In the right light, the primative pyramid is just beautiful.
I was disappointed in the pyramids at Giza site, except for the Boat museum.

I really think that the Egyptians could do more to organize the site for tourists and reduce the hawkers, camel drivers etc. It was not the experience that I hoped it would be. Viewing the Sphinx was particularly awkward.

As I look back on my trip, Dashur and Sakkara really stand out in my mind as the highlights. Do enjoy and read as much as possible about the sites before you go.

Pat
Jul 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM

If you have some time in Giza, I recommend walking (or do a camel ride) South into the dessert to (1) get away from the crowd and (2) enjoy the classic view of the pyramids from a distance.

Is it wrong for me to say that the pyramids aren't all that impressive close up? I think they look much better from afar.
Jul 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM

<>

I can understand that. There is something "magical" about seeing them from a distance.....and close up you realize its just a bunch of stones! But, they are still pretty spectacular!
Jul 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM

The pyramids at Giza were actually our least "favorite" of the antiquities we saw. While impressive (and they certainly are that) for having been built, viewing them does not take a lot of time. I did like getting close up because you realize how massive they are, and how huge each stone is, which gives you more of a sense of how impossible (LOL) the task of building them was. Our first glimpse (in the car on the way to our Giza hotel from the airport, at night) was a "wow, there they are" experience, though.