Currency Question HELP??

Jul 5th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Currency Question HELP??

Hi everyone

Just readimg a few posts about Zim/US forex rates that are charged when staying in Vic Falls Zimbabwe side. What uis this exactly? What is the best way to deal with paying for meals etc? Can we avoid the Zim/US forex rates? I have no idea what this is but seems so many people have been ripped off that I am weary

Thanks
Jul 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM

The US/Zim exchange is a hoot! It was about $9900 Zim dollars to 1 US when we were there last week. Looking at a menu and seeing a steak dinner for $150,000. Of course that is about $15 which is quite reasonable. When you get your check for dinner, they will give it to you in both Zim dollars and whatever other currency you wish to use. They won't let you use Zim dollars there. Don't even try to change money. We usually did the exchange in our head prior to them doing it (usually just did $10,000 since it was easy math) and we were also pretty close to what they charged us. Then we would give them that amount of US cash since most places don't take credit cards. Truly, you will not be ripped off. The best way to pay for everything (and I mentioned this in my response to your question about walking to the falls) is to use US dollars. We actually used some rand also since we had a bunch left from our time in South Africa. They were quite happy to give us the cost of the meal in rand also. I'm not sure how people have ended up being ripped off. I think it depends on how you approach the person. We were treated with respect and kindness - of course that's how we approached everyone we met. Go with a positive attitude and I am sure that you will have a wonderful experience.
Jul 5th, 2005, 09:13 PM

I think the "ripoffs" happened before these establishments were allowed to take dollars. If you used a credit card, (instead of paying with zim dollars) the exchange was done at the "official" (ridiculous government rate) vs. the rate at currency exchange places (which gave you something like 8 times as many Zim dollars). And when people got their credit card bills...well it really was a ripoff. But this was the government/national banks fault, not the retail establishment or restaurant.
But as jcasale says, things have changed and now they can take US dollars.

Search this Thread