Currency in lodges

Sep 20th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Currency in lodges

Are U.S. Dollars accepted in lodges such as Samburu and Serena; or are you better off because of the week dollar to use local currency? What about in local markets? Do you have better baraining powers with dollars?
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM

US dollars, work, UK pounds work and Euros too.
take small denominations and you should be fine.
If you are paying lodge bills, regret that you won't be doing to much negotiating at the end, this would normally be pre-paid, however curio purchases and the like: $$ help drive the price down.

If you ever feel you are gettiung taken... bare in mind that the vendors need to earn a living too: I am not saying don't bargain, but do so with empathy.
Sep 20th, 2005, 10:00 AM

What I've found is that if you want to pay for your lodge incidentals in USD, they will convert your bill from KES to USD using their far less favorable exchange rate. It's better to use your credit card and have them put the charge through in KES. Even if the credit card company tacks on a percentage or two when converting to USD, you'll still come out ahead vs having the lodge do the conversion. Or just pay with KES cash.

Local vendors will probably take any currency you have available. I don't think you have better bargaining power either way.
Sep 20th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Hello,

If you use USD, bring bills (new bills with 'big heads') -- not coins as they are often not accepted.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread