Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Cullinan in Capetown (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cullinan-in-capetown-347725/)

Eileen18 Aug 13th, 2003 12:06 PM

Cullinan in Capetown

Has anyone stayed at the Cullinan hotel in Capetown? Is it a fairly new hotel? How about the commodore? Thanks. Eileen

sandi Aug 13th, 2003 12:57 PM

Can't comment on the Cullinan. And though we stayed at The Grace, our friends stayed at The Commodore.

The hotel is 1-block away from the V&A Waterfront. Their room wasn't quite as large as ours, but there was a Queen size bed, a sitting area, bathroom and a balcony that looked out onto the V&A and a great view of Table Mountain.

The lobby and public spaces were lovely, the rooms were clean, the staff very accommodating and efficient. There is an indoor and outdoor terrace restaurant.

They said their breakfasts were great, though other meals we all took out at the V&A of elsewhere, so can't comment on lunch or dinner.

Since we had a special rate at The Grace, if I were to return, I would certainly stay at The Commodore.

Also, we were all gone all day long during our time in CPT and could really only appreciate our rooms to sleep.

alison_in_london Aug 14th, 2003 02:07 AM

Hi Eileen. I stayed at the Cullinan last January. Its a good hotel, we had standard rooms which were fine, not huge but plenty of room to move about. The breakfasts were very good, as was the service. (Service is good everywhere in Cape Town!). My only gripe is that the pool area is not very big but I only went there for half an hour or so at the end of the day to cool off. It has underground car parking too which is handy. Its walking distance to the V&A but not right in the V&A itself - takes about 10 mins if I remember rightly to get right down to the Waterfront. Its not somewhere that I would want to walk back to on my own at night, but felt okay walking back with a group. But if you're feeling lazy after eating and drinking you can always get a cab - it'll cost you pennies. If you come out of the front of the hotel and walk across a grassy bit, in the opposite direction from the V&A, you'll find a bar that does great pizzas. Can't remember the name, but I'm sure Selwyn will know! There's also another bar up the main road at the side, maybe called the Fireman's Arms? something like that? Again, food is good here. Hope you enjoy your trip anyway wherever you stay - it was my first visit in January this year and was knocked out by the whole area. Have already booked to come back to SA next year.

littlear Jan 11th, 2004 09:54 AM

Hello, my daughter and her fiancee are planning a honeymood in SA. Their first stop will be Capetown. For their first 4 nights in CA they want luxury on par with Ellerman house, but not nec. price. What is comparable? The same location or nearby, and not gigantic? Please respond asap. [email protected]

d43 Jan 14th, 2004 06:24 AM

I just returned yesterday from 3 weeks in SA. I promised myself to reply to messages on the website as I found it very useful in planning my trip. My favorite place I stayed in was the Cape Heritage Hotel. I was looking at The Commodore as well and was going to stay at the Cape Grace. When I got to CT I changed my plans and stayed here. The hotel is charming...it is part of a square block which has a courtyard with some top restaurants as it's neighbor as well as a good cocktail lounge. The people who live in Cape Town come here as opposed to the people who visit Cape Town. It all depends on what you are looking for. The V&A Waterfront is fine, but I felt like nobody but the tourist go there. That being said...the Cullinan looked very nice from the outside...fairly close to the Waterfront...a tall majestic hotel....and I never actually saw the Commodore.

Good luck with your plans.