Cruise tours crowded & rushed?

Aug 26th, 2000, 02:41 PM
Carol

Cruise tours crowded & rushed?

I'm wondering how much time I should have in Luxor and Aswan before and after our 3-night cruise. The cruise offers a half-day tour of Luxor and Karnak (together) and a half-day tour of the Valley of the Kings (incl the Temple of Hatshepsut and the Colossi of Memnon) and a half day in Aswan (High Dam, the granite quarries and the Temple of Philae). Are we going to want to go back to any of these sites (I'm imagining feeling very rushed in the Valley of the Kings). Has anyone done this kind of thing with a cruise? Would it be important to end in Luxor so as to know what we will want to cover that the cruise hasn't? Thanks, Carol

Aug 28th, 2000, 06:14 AM
mm

I did a cruise in 1995 and what you're describing sounds like what we did. I believe the schedule is the norm for all the tours in Egypt. In my experience, I felt that we saw enough of the higlights at each sight. Everything is so immense that after a time you tend to just get overwhelmed with all the structures that you see that you need to stand back and evaluate what was the most outstanding thing you've seen. In addition, you will probably be stopping along the Nile to see other sights. I didn't feel that we needed to return to Luxor, but ever so often I do feel the urge to want to go back to see one of the temples (I'm not sure if it was Esne (sp?) my husband and I had to cut short a tour of because we had both had an attack of heat exhaustion. (Experts really mean it when they tell you keep drinking water even if you don't feel thirsty yet). We plan to see Alexandria sometime in the future so maybe we will get around to going back.

Search this Thread