Search

Camping safari in Botswana?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 04:59 AM
cecilia

Camping safari in Botswana?

I would like to hear from anyone who's been on a camping safari in Botswana. We've looked at booking the Dick Hedges Camping Safari with Kuoni so we'd specifically would like some advice from people who've done it before. It seems like a reasonably cheap way to see Botswana but we would like to know if it's a good idea or not.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 08:10 PM
Lynda

Cecilia: <BR> I am planning a trip to Botswana in October, and have done extensive research into safari's there. We have found a wonderful participation safari for about $85 per day inclusive. I have information on a wide range (cost wise) of safaris. If you are interested, I will share the information with you. <BR> <BR>Lynda <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Also: [email protected]

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:43 PM
Nigel

If you plan to go into the Okavango, then Oddballs Camp is THE place to go. <BR>You spend the first night in the base Camp then go out for 2-5 nights camping in the bush on mokoro trail (dug out canoe poled by your personal Guide). It is a truly magical experience. <BR>info at http://www.island-safari.com/hotels/oddballscamp.htm

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 05:04 AM
Neil

If you go to the Okavango, there are a huge number of choices. Oddballs is one (cheaper) choice but there are many others. The best ones lie in the heart of the delta (Oddballs doesn't. You should pay particular attention to what the water level is like at the time of year you plan to go (this has an impact on the game). Good (basic) camping in Moremi and Chobe but you need a 4x4 and take all food supplies with you

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:30 PM
meg

Hello! We LOVED our Mopane safari with Wilderness Safaris last Sept. Pilot was our guide -- try for him since he was FABULOUS! We booked the trip with Bert from Fish Eagle Safaris. ([email protected]) He really knows his stuff and can give some discounts. The reason we chose this safari is because there is an 8 person limit and the pace seemed good. If we go back to Botswana we'd try to get Pilot again. <BR>Camping safaris are the way to go in order to be "one with nature", but be mentally prepared for sleeping with lions outside your tent. I spent the most frightening night of my life there with a male lion just steps from our tent ROARING intermittently. Out of control. Another night there was a leopard walking back by our makeshift bathroom. Very scary. Elephants nibbled on trees above our tents. Very intense, but an unbelievable trip of a lifetime. Good luck

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Karen

It's been several years since I took a tent camping safari in Botswana: the country is my absolutely favorite destination in the world. (I've been to 45 countries, mostly independent travel, so I do have travel experience.)In addition, I've been to Africa five times (3 tours and 2 independently as a single woman - once for nine months in Zaire!). Botswana has perhaps the best and safest tourist infrastructure in Africa, while still protecting the wildlife which you are going to see. In addition, the country appears to have little corruption amongst the officials -- refreshing to find in Africa. Take twice as much film as you think you will need. One of the most exciting nights I had was when the hyenas were snuffling just a foot from my tent -- no trouble as long as you keep the tent zipped up. I also understand that lions haven't yet figured out how to get into tents -- just keep it zipped -- and you will have the thrill of your life. Be sure you bring plenty of drinking water -- that was in short supply on my trip, and Coke or beer just doesn't quench your thirst! Travel in any season -- the dry season has the animals concentrated near watering spots; the wet season is more beautiful, but the animals are more difficult to spot. Bring an open mind, a sense of adventure, don't expect the creature comforts of home, and you will have an exciting and unforgettable trip.