Crossing from the Serengeti to the Masai Mara

Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Crossing from the Serengeti to the Masai Mara

I came across a posting from someone with a company www.go-kili.com that said and I quote:
If you have your own vehicle it is easy to cross at the Bologonja Border post between the Serengeti and the Mara.If you are part of a tour group, the tour company must have a letter (special permission) to cross, otherwise no go.

I thought this might be of interest to a few people, as the idea of a long days drive around is not appealing, the cost of flying and changing planes can be prohibitive. Not to say the time saved is significant. I personally am not sure about this, as it was technically illegal on the Kenya side a few years ago. The Tanzanian border officials even suggested that if I could not 'make a deal' they would allow reentry to tanzania.
But, if I was planning to see both the Serengeti and the Mara with a tour company, I would pursue this.

Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:47 AM

It was me!

We drove up to the border post on May 30 and I talked to the chief warden himself.

Since we were in a vehicle registered to a Tanzanian operator, he wanted to see a special permission letter to cross into the Mara. My outfitter did not have such a letter (we did not plan to cross anyway).

The warden then said if I had a private vehicle (registered to me or rented by me when I am the driver)there will be no problems to cross back and forth. In fact, a private vehicle with an overlanding family crossed before us with no apparant problems.

They simply don't want hordes of tourists crossing since the gate is manned by a skeleton crew.

If you've been through the crossing at Namanga (a confusing & bustling place) this policy makes sense!

Anyway, that's how it was on May 30. It is Africa! Who knows how it will be a few months from now!
Eben
Jul 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Eben
Having made the crossing in the past, it was never the Tanzanians that were the problem. It was the Kenyans that made it difficult. For myself and others I have talked to, the Kenyans always demanded a bribe in their offhand way. When I crossed, they didn't take the carnet or basically do anything like stamp the passport. That is why I was wondering what they are doing today at the Kenya side. People have paid as much as $100/person for them to look the other way. And they and the vehicle weren't legally in the country till going to a customs office, getting insurance, registering the carnet, ect.

To make a story short, I notice that all the reports are from Tanzania to Kenya.
Jul 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Does anyone have current info about crossing the other direction, from the Masai Mara to the Serengeti? I wonder if it's possible to cross into the Serengeti for the day from the Mara side.

Search this Thread