Crossing from Mana Pools, Zim to Lower Zambezi, Zam

Jul 25th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Crossing from Mana Pools, Zim to Lower Zambezi, Zam

Is it possible to easily combine these two parks on the same trip by transferring directly between the parks (by canoe or overland) without backtracking to a major airport? I expect not, but I'm hoping to combine both on the same trip. Thanks
Jul 31st, 2005, 10:19 PM
Lin

Hi, I have just returned from the Lower Zambezi NP and I asked the guides at my camp the same question. They said no, it is not allowed to cross over directly from Mana Pools, only poachers do it! It does seem ridiculous since it's barely a mile away. They also stated that the game-viewing and vegetation are basically identical, so maybe you could spend quality time at one of these parks and then try another area. Good Luck
Aug 1st, 2005, 12:57 AM

As Lin has said, you cannot cross by canoe from one country to the next. It is easy to do overland though. You must go through immigration at Chirudu or Kariba Dam. Chirudu is not to far from the Mana Pools gate. If you don't have your own transportation, then arranging through your tour operator is the next best way to go.
I have always been curious though if one could go from Kayembe,Zim to Luangwa, Zambia-boat/canoe or otherwise, going through the border posts there. They talked about a ferry several years ago before Uncle Bob got so feisty.

I was thinking along the terms of canoeing down the Zim side Chikwenya to Kayembe and a speed boat from a lodge up the river or transfer by Cessna to a lodge in LZNP.

Search this Thread