Croc Hunter

Apr 24th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Croc Hunter

Hey, for all of you going to South Luangwa, I just watched the crocodile hunter on animal planet...and the entire episode is filled in that region of Zambia. Pretty cool stuff although some may not like Steve Irwin "selling out" the beauty of africa.

Also, what are all of your recommendations for gorgeous guest houses and villas in capetown and the surrounding area??? Refer to my previous post "Capitalizing on Great Deals" where i outline some that i have found through website research. Have i missed the boat completely?!

Lastly, i looked at a chart today of the Rand vs The US Dollar. I didn't realize how rapidly the dollar has plummeted. Practically a few months ago, the dollar was worth almost twice as many rand as today. From 12.45 down to 7.23. I better book my trip in a hurry, unless i buy some futures contracts. FYI - Some highly regarded investment professionals see much further downside to the value of the US Dollar, generally speaking. peace,

Matty A.
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:50 PM

Matty...I'll have to watch for that episode! Personally, I really enjoy watching Steve Irwin and don't think that he is either a sell-out or has sold out the area.

I am SOOOOO close to going to South Luangwa (Zambia) and South Africa. At this time exactly six weeks from today I should already have flown from LAX-JFK and will probably just be departing JFK-Johannesburg. Its a long journey for those of us on the west coast, but completely worth it!

I do expect South Luangwa to be a lot more "wild" and untouched than I experienced at either Singita or Matetsi Water Lodge last year.

I have not checked the Rand recently...7.23???...wow! That, in itself, is enough reason to go to South Luangwa, where the lodges are quoted in dollars and are VERY reasonable. I am staying at Kafunta for $395 USD per night and it is all inclusive. You couldn't even stay at a place like Inyati or Idube for $395 USD a night anymore. I sure am glad that I did Singita last year because at those conversion rates it must be approaching $2,000 (that's right TWO THOUSAND) USD per night!!! That is nearly a mortgage payment!!!

If things don't turn around and if I enjoy South Luangwa, if places like Mombo and Jacana in Botswana quote in Rand, I won't be going there anytime soon. Anyway, those that are not looking to spend over $12,000 USD on their holiday best look outside South Africa for their safari portion of the trip.

Hopefully, as a result of the Rand's surge against the Euro and especially against the USD, the game lodges adjust their prices downward for next season, otherwise visitors may just take a pass and go to Kenya or Tanzania instead and possibly stay a few nights in Europe as a substitute to Cape Town.
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:42 AM

I caught the end of a piece on TV this week where some economists are arguing that based on purchasing power, the Rand/US Dollar rate should be in the region of 4.5 to 5 rand to the dollar! Now the increasing strength of the Rand is generally good for the SA economy, but there is the pitfall in that we were able to cash in on exports. Also, the JSE has taken a knock as some foreign investors cashed out. I think that a tourist facility with any sense will adjust their rates. I've mentioned before that some places charge blatantly exhorbitant rates to foreigners, just because they can with the exchange rate. If this improvement remains solid then tourism in SA in general is going to have to adjust their methods accordingly. I still say that it is one of the best places in the world to visit, the features, culture, variety, scenery and people make the trip worthwhile, and considering what you get - it can be reasonable. Me: I'm rooting for ongoing improvement in the rate, I need my own travel fix in terms of a return trip to a New Orleans

Search this Thread