Reload this Page >

Ebony or Boulders Lodge at Singita?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Evelyn

Hi!<BR><BR>I am planning a week long safari for next summer - I want to split the week up at Singita and somewhere else.<BR><BR>Would you recommend Ebony or Boulders lodge at Singita?<BR><BR>Frommers stated that Boulders is better than Ebony, but I don't know why, since both look gorgeous on the website.<BR><BR>Also, here is a silly question - if you stay at one of the lodges at Singita, are you allowed to go and look around at the other, and perhaps have a cocktail in the other lodges' lounge?<BR><BR>I am new to this, so have no idea! <BR><BR>Thanks so much!<BR><BR>Evelyn

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 03:33 PM
lisa

can't help you with ebony and boulders but regarding looking at the other one, I am sure you could. After our morning drive and breakfast, I always ask the game ranger or host/hostess if it is possible to see the other lodges of the resort where we are staying and they have always been happy too. I tip them really well at the end of the stay for doing this.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Mary

Evelyn:<BR>We are going to Singita at the end of August and are booked in the Boulders. We talked to Singita and both are beautiful. They told us that Boulders tended to cater to a less stuffy crowd as Ebony was more formal and stuffy. Regardless they are both beautiful so we picked the Boulders! I just love the casual elegance look - and I think they are newer! You can e-mail me after September 7 and I can let you know first hand. <BR><BR>At least book one now and you can always change in two months. Don't know what you are looking for or what your tastes run? Let me know and I'll give you my humble opinion after I return!<BR>Mary

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Evelyn

Hi!<BR><BR>Thanks so much for the replies!<BR><BR>Mary - I think Boulders will definitely be for us then, based on what you were told at Singita. <BR><BR>I was finally able to use the virtual tours, and both are gorgeous, but Boulders looks like more of what we are looking for. We are very laid back, and I also like the idea of that casual elegance that Boulders seems to exude.<BR><BR>Ebony really looks like that old colonial Africa, which is lovely, but not the feeling we are going for.<BR><BR>Thanks again!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Rocco

I stayed at Boulders in March and I absolutely loved it. One consideration for your other destination should be the Royal Malewane private game reserve. I wasn't there personally but it got glowing reviews from a very well traveled couple at Singita who actually preferred it to Singita. Plus, the Royal Malewane may be a couple hundred dollars less per night. Good luck.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:00 AM
London Mom

Dear Evelyn,<BR>My unstuffy husband and two children, 12 &10 stayed at the Ebony Lodge. We were all so in love with it, never wanted to even go over to Boulders. I was told the difference was this - Ebony was more "Old Colonial", while Boulders was "Modern Africa". So glad we picked Ebony! Not stuffy at all!I think they tell you things to fill up the empty lodge!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 06:37 PM
jackie

I also just came back from Singita "ebony" for our honeymoon. Whoever said ebony was more stuffy couldnt be more wrong. Ebony is more colonial in theme and we were with people in their 20s - 40s during our stay and it was informal. Boulders is more modern and contemporary. You can't go wrong with either but we chose ebony to get a more authentic flavor.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Scott

I was just at Singita in June and stayed a few nights at both Boulders and Ebony. I loved going to both, but we had 5 nights to do it. I don't thik Ebony is stuffy at all, if fact, the lodge itself has a much more congenial design than Boulders. It seems as if it's meant for socializing while Boulders is a romantic escape for couples. Both we great. I loved the decor of both, too. Boulders defiantely has more space, but Ebony has a better location on the river and the rooms have better views from their respective decks. (better game viewing)