Anyone stayed at the Oceana Apartments in Camps Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They seem less expensive than a lot of other places in Camps Bay.... I'm wondering why! Camps Bay seems to be a pricey place to stay compared with other resorts, has anyone else found this to be the case?
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Well, I have not stayed there, but just had a look at their site. From my knowledge of Camps Bay the location is good. The reason why it is probably cheaper is the time of year, in season and out of season vary greatly, and also it is self-catering apartments. There is also a wide range in rates for various rooms and this could be due to the view (or lack thereof) and proximity of any roads. I notice that it rates four starts. Four star lodging in SA is usually of a very high standard. Camps Bay is the place for the trendy to see and be seen, and that's why most things are generally more expensive. It does have a stunning beach - although the water is still far too cold to swim in IMHO. Unless you specifically want the beach on your doorstep, you would do much better in other areas of Cape Town.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Alison,

I agree with all that Traci says and as per usual her advice is excellent and very sound. I was amazed when I saw your question only because I had never heard of the Oceana Apartments in Camps Bay. When I went to the Oceana website I was really impressed to the extent that I am going to view the venue in my capacity as a tourism professional on Wednesday and will report back as soon as I have done this recognisance excersize.

Till then...

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Seems nice from their website, but the price doesn't seem that cheap. Last November we stayed at Village & Life in Camps Bay for R650/night with private covered parking. It was a very nice apartment, close to restaurants/shops and located across from the beach. You get a lot for your money here. Their website actually allows you to view each individual apartment and chose the one you want. We will definitely return to V&L on our next visit to the area.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies everyone. Am now looking at something at www.capetour.com, not much difference in the price and looks a bit better. Always difficult to judge something purely from a website - you never know what you are NOT seeing do you? If Camps Bay is the trendy place to be seen that will explain the prices... and if that's the case perhaps they won't let me in anyway hahaha..! Will be interesting to hear your views anyway Selwyn.. for some reason I did not get the impression from the Oceana website that it was a new development, it looks as if its been there a few years.