Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   cost of food in egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/cost-of-food-in-egypt-762667/)

bhuty Jan 21st, 2009 07:41 AM

cost of food in egypt

The tour I am planning on taking includes breakfast all days but we will need to buy our own lunch and dinner.

In order to eat well and stay well (mimimise sickness) how much do you sugggest we should budget for meals?

Thanks
PS we lived in china for 6 months so we are used to being careful with food

Casual_Cairo Jan 21st, 2009 10:07 AM

Food can be very cheap in Cairo, but that doesn't mean that your tour company is going to give you any choices where to buy your meals. My guess is that they will take you to where they want to take you and you'll be stuck buying meals that are whatever they are.

As an average (perhaps on the high side, but hard to say for sure) - without alcohol at the type of restaurant I suspect you'll be at, I'd plan for $10 each, and you should be OK. There should be some that cost a good deal less and that might allow you to splash out on some other meals and spend more.

There are certainly lots of meals that can be purchased for much less than $5 each but who knows if the company you are using will take you to those restaurants.

Here's an idea - look at www.otlob.com It is a site that has a LOT of Cairo restaurants on it with their menus. You can look that over and see what you'd normally order at a restaurant and figure out what it would cost.

Maybe your tour company can tell you what restaurants you will be taken to.

Good luck.

What sort of tour are you taking that they don't give you more information about this?

bhuty Jan 21st, 2009 01:03 PM

i haven't paid yet and they said that when i pay the deposit they will give me much more info about the tour.

Thanks for the reply, i now know that I should be asking them more questions about the tour first.

bhuty Jan 21st, 2009 01:05 PM

PS from the info i have i had just inferred from it that we would be free to come and go as we please when it came to eating and shopping - possibly not so hey.

sf7307 Jan 21st, 2009 03:03 PM

Do you want to share the name of the tour operator? Maybe someone who has been on that tour can add some insight.

Casual_Cairo Jan 22nd, 2009 03:15 AM

bhuty - Is this maybe Go Bus? If it is, then I suspect you are pretty free to do what you want, and I suspect they will have you eating pretty cheap.
If it isn't Go Bus - I too want to know who it is that isn't taking money for meals.

bhuty Jan 22nd, 2009 01:18 PM

www.onthegotours.com

At this stage I have only spoken to the travel agent who gave me their publication so maybe they still do take commissions.

Random question: I'm in australia but there's no reason why I can't book a UK or USA tour group is there? So whats the best tour group in your country????