Search

Friendly travel Kenyan trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friendly travel Kenyan trip

We're considering taking the Kenyan safari with Friendly Travel in August. Has anyone taken this trip and if so, how was it? Did you feel like you were shuffled in a tour of did you feel more free?
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 10:40 AM

As with most 'group' tours, they tend to try to get in lots of stops, often spending more time in transit than game viewing and if/how much 'free' time you have can vary.

Some group tours are well planned out, others not so much. Thus, suggest you at least provide a link to the specific tour you're considering, so those who choose to reply know exactly what is being offered - when, where, accommodations, etc.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

It's an eleven day safari with 2 days in Nairobi, 2 days in Samburu Game Reserve, 1 day at Pejeta Conservancy, 1 day Lake Nakuru and 2 1/2 days at the Masai Mai. We're thinking of August. Is that a good time to go? The price is $3300 which we thought was good.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM

With 11/days, seems only 6-1/2 days actual safari (not including the 2/nts in NBO). Thus the 11/days includes the travel time to/from the States.

For total 8-1/2 days in-country, averages short of $400/pp/day... which is good for travel in August, though you don't indicate where staying (lodges/camps) at each area.

It's a standard routing, but not to be surprised, the drive from NBO to Samburu is 6/hrs north; from here south to Ol Pejeta is about 3+/hrs; another 3/hrs west to Nakuru; and finally 5+/hrs south to the Masai Mara; concluding here and if driving back to NBO it's another 5+/hrs. Both roads to/from the Mara can be nasty some sections.

August is an excellent time to travel.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I like the variety of going to different places but I'm wondering if it's better to go to only 1 or 2 places. Will I be able to see most of the animals if I do that?
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM

If you only wanted to visit 1-2/ parks/reserves you'd have to arrange a private safari vs 'group' with set routing, where visiting, or lodge/camps.

However, with the places this safari stops you will find diversity in landscapes and even game.
Samburu - has unique species - reticulated giraffe, Grevy's zebra, gerenuk antelope, Beisa oryx, Somali ostrich, camel, wild dogs
Ol Pejeta - has black rhino, also Grevy's zebra, chimp sanctuary
Nakuru - has Rothschild giraffe and white rhino
Masai Mara - has a bit of everything and best place to see the Big-5.