Cost for a t day safari?

Jul 3rd, 2005, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Cost for a t day safari?

After reading many of the trip reports, I decided that I HAVE to do a safari. I was discussing it with my sisters last night, and everyone was up for it. Can someone tell me a about how much a trip like that (perhaps with Roy's safari's, at a semi-luxury lodge) would be. We would be travelling from the west coast. I am loving these trip reports. Please keep them coming.
Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:20 AM

Figure around $1500-1700pp for economy class airfare from the west coast and between $200-300pp per night on safari depending on the season and choice of accomodations if booking a private safari with an in country tour operator such as Roys with a minimum of 2 travelers.

Many here have listed their itineraries with prices and if you do a search for Tanzania, you should be able to find some actual quotes. Or you can go to the website of a safari operator that posts prices to get an idea of cost. Here are 2 off the top of my head that do -

www.essafari.co.ke
www.goodearthtours.com

I think most of the prices listed now will be for 2005, so expect some increase if traveling in 2006.
Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:48 AM

I know people often have sticker shock when they hear safari prices for the first time. So you might tell your sisters that
(1) safari prices are all inclusive, while most other vacations include significant expenditures that come separately, so you don't really add them up. But consider how much your REALLY spend once you tally up airfare, hotels, meals, transport, shopping and entertainment on a typical vacation. On a safari the only extras are tips and souvenirs (which are typically pretty cheap compared to shopping in Europe!)
(2) I don't know of ANYONE that has EVER come back from a well-planned trip to Africa that has ever said "what a ripoff" or "what a waste of time". In fact, most people end of saying something like "that would have been worth it at twice the price". And often they are willing to spend even more on their next safari...because they know that the "investment" in these vacations pays back in a way few other holidays really can.

(3) There are other areas of the world that people enjoy, love and want to return to for future holidays. But there is no other area that creates the addiction that Africa does...we are Afriholics and proud of it.
Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:10 AM

This is the first time I am posting on any forum as I am new to this site. Although I have traveled widely, no trip has haunted me (in a good way) and stayed on my mind as much as my trip to Tanzania in 1998. My then 12 year old son and I traveled with Thomson's on one of their family safaris. I would highly recommend them. I absolutely have to return to East Africa. I actually cried when we were boarding the small plane to take us back to Arusha from the Serengeti. Although I have enjoyed all of my trips, no other one had that effect on me. And I don't think it is Africa itself, as I have been to West Africa and have no interest in returning. I think it is East Africa in particular. Lorraine

Search this Thread