contact lenses vs eye glasses

Sep 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

contact lenses vs eye glasses

we are going to the tanzania next year.
would wearing contacts bother us? our safari agent recommends wearing glasses but we are not comfortable with wearing glasses.
has anyone had to deal with this?
Sep 20th, 2004, 03:10 PM

I've done both contacts and glasses. Contacts are not impossible, but if you go this way you will want sunglasses that really cover your eye and eyesocket to help keep out dust. The sport/wraparound type is best. And the quality of sunglasses really differs, I have found, so go for good one (Costco Optical sells Maui Jim polarized sunglasses that are terrific).
If you decide to go this way, you MUST do several other things (some of which you would want to do anyway:
1) Get a prescription antibiotic drop or ointment (from a doctor, NOT over the counter) to use in the event that your eye begins to get infected, and get it filled before you go. This is really important, as eye infections can develop really quickly, and these will be unavailable in the camps (I do this even when I don't wear contacts).
2) You MUST bring eyeglasses and prescription sunglasses as a backup for eye irritation or relief. This is essential, not optional.
3) Bring regular eyedrops for relief and washing out dust...you would want these in any case too.

The main reason to try to wear the contacts that you prefer is for camera and binocular use-- so much easier and more enjoyable without glasses.
Sep 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks.
that is very helpful.
we are so excited about our safari to serengeti. we are bound to have more questions for the members.
Sep 20th, 2004, 07:31 PM

I just remembered one more thing about contacts vs glasses: when you wear glasses, you always have something covering your eyes, even in low light. This is good.

But when you wear contacts, if you rely on sunglasses to protect your eyes from dust, you will have to take them off when the light is low, otherwise you will not see as much. So you may need something with a light tint to carry you through these times. I actually had two pair of sunglasses...one just a little tinted, one very dark. Sigh....One solution is to get clip-on sunglasses to wear over your regular glasses... and over your sunglasses. Only negative here was that these don't come in wraparounds. Another option is to get the kind of sport sunglasses with interchangeable lenses--quite convenient, since you have options for all kinds of light. The only negative here is that you can get good, but not great quality interchangeable lenses.

One more tip: i found the long cords that keep your glasses around your neck more convenient than the short ones, because you can take glasses off quickly to move to your camera or binoculars, and not worry about the glasses dropping.

See it's good you are planning so early...there is lots to do before you go!

Search this Thread