Consevation honors

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consevation honors

From the British High Commission
Knighthood for Daphne Sheldrick

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II appointed Dr. Daphne Sheldrick to Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in the 2006 New Years Honours List for her services to conservation in Kenya. She will now be known as Dame Daphne.

This is a marvelous honor for a lady who has given more than 50 years of her life helping wildlife conservation in Africa, and at age 71 is still accomplishing more than most of us could do.

Congratulations Dame Daphne!

Jan

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
bat

excellent. Or should I say--brilliant.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM

Finally some good news! Thanks for posting this, Jan.

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM

Stuff a sock in your pants (singer Tom Jones) and receive a knighthood. Dedicate your life to saving African wildlife and get to be called a "Dame."

Doesn't seem quite right!

Out of curiosity, are there any female knights or knightesses?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:27 PM

Jan-
What wonderful news about Daphne. It's good to see her being recognized for the great work she (and her staff) does.

On a side note, did anyone see the Jeff Corwin episode when he was at the Sheldrick orphanage playing in the mud with the baby eles? Too cute!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

divewop:

Sorry but I missed that episode with Jeff. I'll be seeing all three groups of orphans shortly. I finally got permission to go into northern Tsavo which has been closed to the public for about 40 years due to heavy poaching. We will take a ranger with us for safety. Five of my adopted ele. babies are up there, so I will now get a chance to see them. I understand the BBC is up there doing a sequel to Elephant Diaries (which will be shown here on Animal Planet the beginning of March). Also hope to see the Yatta Plateau which is part of the longest lava flow in the world. Will also see the older orphans at Voi before heading back to Nairobi where I will see the youngest orphans.

I am hopeful that little Ndololo will still be there and doing well. He was almost dead when found, and after rescue they found that he was blind. They don't know the cause of the blindness - whether a cobra could have spat in his eyes, or what. He is being seen by an ophthalmologist who is trying to figure out possible causes and treatments. Keep fingers crossed that they can restore some sight in this little guy who apparently is a real fighter and wants to live.

Jan