confused about insurance

Jan 19th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

confused about insurance

It seems that STA insurance does have med evacuation, even to hospital of your choice if you upgrade, as well as medical, baggage, etc. Why would I still need to get Flying Doctors and/or Medjet in addition to that? Am I missing something?
Jan 19th, 2008, 11:17 AM

You need Flying Doctor's as they're the only ones who will fly into the bush to get you to a hospital in Nairobi. STA, Medjet or any other insurer does not do this.

Not sure about the STA upgrade "to hospital of your choice" and what the additional cost as compared to supplementing STA with Medjet.

When considering insurance for my last trip, whether with STA/Medjet or similar insurers as found on www.insuremytrip.com - STA coverage wasn't as high; as example (and not right now comparing, but from memory) STA medical at $50K, vs $150-200K from the others.

Assume a heart attack - Only Medjet has hospital equipped planes that can transport an ill patient. Otherwise, you won't be going anywhere until you've been stabilized in Nairobi and the insurer in consultation with attending physician approves your being able to travel.

More than likely, you'll never need the evacuation, so in the end you have to go with your own comfort level should the unforeseen happen.

But, Flying Doctor's is completely separate and the fee is small, whether covering your time in one country or both, between $15-$25/person for a 2/week trip.
Jan 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank goodness you are part of this forum....how would we all do this without you????
Jan 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, I changed my itinerary to your suggestions on an earlier post. I will be going with Napeindi to Tanzania for two weeks in July. The only guide I have seen mentioned on this site is Chris. Do you know of others?
Also, they are using Liberty for the Kenya side....if Liberty is a wholesaler, how do I request a guide for that piece?
Thanks, Cathy
Jan 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Cathy -

Glad to be able to assist.

Sorry though, can't comment re guides with either company.