Comparison Shopping for Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've recently begun planning our safari trip for next summer and contacted one of the planners we read good reports about in this forum. They suggested an itinerary, which, with the advice of several people, we are in the process of tweaking. Once we get it finalized, but before I send in a deposit, I am wondering if I should send the same itinerary to a couple of other companies to get a comparison cost quote. I don't want to be disloyal since the first company has obviously put some effort into planning our trip and I do feel that they are a reputable group, but I also don't want to spend a lot more money than I need to. Advice?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM

My personal take is that you don't owe anything to anybody - it's your cash. That being said, be up front with the company who has helped you out, and give them the opportunity to match any of the other bids.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:32 PM
sandi

What is the itinerary, where, when, how many days, accommodations and cost?

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I don't know where you're going, but if you post the full itinerary and cost, someone here could probably tell you if it's a fair price.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:17 PM

A lot depends on how much work the initial company put into it. In my case with my TA, they've put in hours of work over several months, emails back and forth, many phone calls for them, so I felt I had to stay with them even if they aren't experts in one of the countries we picked. But they do quote me what the rate is for each camp and what their discount to me is, which I like. One TA once (no one here) tried to give me only a total for a safari that was my custom request. I can see that for a pre-made safari, like the kind you find on the web, but not for a private, custom safari. How can I decide whether to skip one camp over another if I have no idea what I'm paying for it?

Patty and Sandi have a good suggestion - put your quote here for comment.