WVON from Chicago

Old Mar 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVON from Chicago

I wish I would have known how good it would be, but today there was a radio program out of WVON in Chicago, that I wish you all could have heard. If you will go to www.wvon.com you might find a copy of the show. It was brodcast at 11 a.m. Chicago time. It was interviews with a group of American tourists on one of the Sonesta Nile Cruise boats RIGHT NOW. They are here in Egypt and several of them were interviewed, as well as the Sonesta manager, and their Egyptologist - who incidentally also works for me in his free time. It was a GREAT show and really let the world know that Egypt is perfectly safe for tourists now. They were all grooving on being practically the only ones at each site. Another site you might find it on is www.thetravelingeye.com
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM

I have no doubt that tourists away from the bruhaha going on at Tahrir Sq. in Cairo were having a safe and good time... especially on a Nile Cruise, and all those sites to themselves. Much as it had been in Kenya after their political upheaval. Generally, tourists are not targetted nor harmed. Or comments from some of the college kids at American University who wanted to stay on, but their parents insisted they be on the next plane out.

But Debbie, I heard this morning (or was it last evening) that Zahi Hawass, being a close associate of Mubarack, has decided to retire from his work in antiquities. Where he's been the face of Egypt to the rest of the world for so many years. Apparently, he doesn't want to be involved with the new government! Duh!

I can understand his wish to retire... he's at that age, and I'm sure he can make plenty $$$ on the speakers circuit, if this is what he might do - "second act!". However, I sure hope he didn't have his hand in the till or been up to no good!

.... have your heard this, or know what might be.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up Debbie. I will track it down a give a listen .

Hi sandi
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Sandi..extremely interesting information...I always had mixed feelings about Mr. Hawass...I do believe his "resignation" speaks clearly to his relationship with the government of Mubarak and thereby his financial gains associated with this relationship. He sure sent some mixed signals out about all the artifacts missing and now apparently there are many more that he is talking about. I'm sure they will replace him and while he was sort of entertaining he sure is arrogant. Yes indeed he will make millions on the speaking circuit.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

turaj, gotta say I agree with your take on Zawi 100%. I hadn't even thought about the money he is probably associated with filtering off the top - but of course that must be true too.

His ego was tremendously annoying, but he was a good ambassador for Egypt. How many tourists were more than impressed by him? LOADS!
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM

That's great! I read the report at http://thetravelingeye.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html but being a technological neanderthal, I couldn't figure out how to listen! In any case, I wish I were with them right now but will be soon
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM

I asked one of my guides what he thought of Zahi Hawass. He said that he obviously loved his country and it's history and wanted the best for it. He also cryptically said he was sure he was not short of money. He wouldn't say too much more being the patriotic Egyptian he is.