Comparing late May and late August: Botswana & Sabi Sands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year’s safari to Kenya is set, so I’m thinking ahead to 2008, which is really just around the corner, sort of.

If I head to Boswana and/or Sabi Sands, I’d likely go either at the end of May or the end of August, and I’d appreciate comparisons between the two. I’ve been to both SA and Botswana in August/September, but never earlier than that.

I have come to love all of the flora, fauna, and landscape that I’ve seen in Africa, are there species that tend to be more (or less) active at one or another of these times? One obvious advantage of May is that it’s shoulder season at some lodges. Saving money is a wonderful thing, but (for me), it’s not so wonderful if it’s at the cost of seeing fewer elephant herds, leopards, or tsessebe.

Is the landscape noticeably different in late May? Also, is May close enough to the end of the rainy season that the sands are more difficult to navigate – I’m thinking especially of Lebala and the Linyati area, where driving is always a challenge.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:49 AM
santharamhari

Rizzuto,

Given we were both there same time at Lebala, you are referring to the deep kalahari sands i presume?

May, slightly better. The rains typically end in March with some lite rains in April.......landscape will still be a bit greeen.

End May the dogs will be searching for their den site....so obviously they will be looking around and hopefully u luck out.....

You may not see the ele herds that you witnessed end August.....smaller buffalo herds in May, perhaps....

Predators are going to be the same....you know Lebala and their strong tracking policy, so nothing new to you.....

Sabi Sands should be good thru the year......

Hari

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:57 AM
santharamhari

Rizzuto,

Pl do a search....i believe, Johan may have a trip report from Lebala from May or June 2006 along with a trip to Mala Mala same trip......maybe that will be helpful to you....

Hari

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:00 AM
santharamhari

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34818383

Hope the link works.....that's Johan's trip report....

Hari

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Yep, it was mostly the Kalahari sands I was thinking of -- wasn't sure whether the additional moisture would make them less or more difficult to navgiate.

Interesting to learn about the dogs denning time.

Thanks for the link/legwork on Johan's trip report!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:27 PM
santharamhari

Will keep you posted. I will be there this upcoming June.....

Hari

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:41 PM
santharamhari

Rizzuto,

Do you have back issues? That sand can be tricky if you have a dodgy back......however, the best seat in the vehicle is up front next to the guide, if that is indeed your situation.

Hopefully the rains end early this year. But by the time you get there, either end May or early june the game drive routes will dry out, i think...

Hari

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

A semi-dodgy back. I had a private vehicle last year, and I would opt for the same next time I go to Lebala. With the whole back seat to myself, it was easy to extend my arms and avoid most abrupt movement.

I was actually mostly thinking about the likelihood of getting stuck in the sandy goo -- that would not be a whole lot of fun.

Just writing about it brings back the overwhelming smell of sage ...
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:14 AM
santharamhari

Doubt it will be a sandy goo then.....

I think the front seat will be more stable though for your bad back. You will be rocking and rolling a lot in the back row......you definitely dont want to be in the back row if you are chasing hunting dogs....

Cheers,
H