Search

Visa for Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa for Egypt

Apply for Egypt Visa from US is too expensive, it cost around $100, is there any risk or difficult to ask for Visa at Cairo airport? thank you.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Four years ago it was incredibly simple to get it at Cairo airport - we also were skeptical, but liked that idea better than sending away our passports to Egyptian Embassy.

At the time, they would only accept US dollars. We gave our passport and money to a guy who disappeared for 5 minutes and then reappeared with passports and visa stamp.

Make sure you are US citizen, have a valid passport and it has at least 6 monthy left on it.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
sandi

hdoan - It does not cost $100 to obtain an Egyptian Visa from the US. The fee is only $20 or $25. The amount that you indicate is for a "service" to do it for you.

But it's real easy to obtain your Visa upon arrival in Cairo for US$15.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
P_M

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Egypt and Jordan for my parents, and I might be joining in. I am glad to know about getting a visa at the airport, that will be a money saver.

Hdoan, by any chance did you get that price from Visas International? A few years ago I went to Russia and Belarus and my travel agent told me I had to use Visas International. I was not a Fodorite then and did not know anyone else to ask, so I took her word for it. I later found out I could have got those same visas on the web for $35 each, instead of the $100 each I paid Visas International. What a waste. It's good that you posted the question, this board is an invaluable resource for good info.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 11:25 AM

I just got my visa for Egypt from the Egyptian Consulate in Chicago. It cost $15. My sister-in-law got hers from the NYC consulate and her visa was also $15. I'm pretty sure that's the standard cost for a single tourist visa.