compact cards

Mar 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

compact cards

We purchased a digital camera a few years afgo and several compact cards for it at the time. I was wondering if the speed of newer ones makes a difference.

Also, we wondered what brands y'all had used and were happy with.

Thanks
Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:29 AM

Compact FLASH cards do come in faster speeds now - that is the maximum speeds at which the cards can have data written to them.

However, many older models of camera do not themselves write to the cards as fast as these new speeds allow.

In these cameras using the latest CF cards wouldn't change anything.

Newer models of camera are able to make use of that extra speed and the faster CF cards can make a difference.

I use the faster ones myself in my Nikon D70.

I usually opt for San Disk cards. Very slightly more expensive (though not if you shop around) but every camera and CF card reader happily reads them.

Some makes work in most cameras but some models (such as the Minolta Dimage 7i I used to have) do not like some of the makes of CF card.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:42 PM

Main differences for the OP are price and capacity. All memory cards have come down in price tremendously in the last few years and capacity has gone way up.
Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM

The speed of the newer ones definitely *does* make a difference with newer high-end cameras where the speed of the next shot you take (or the amount you can take in a row) is limited by the speed of the compact flash card. See here for a comprehensive and widely regarded survey of card performance: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

However, with older consumer models, I would be surprised if it makes much difference. I agree with Kavey that the chances are that you camera can't take advantage of the speeds. Its not hard to test though, if you put your camera in burst or continuous drive mode, hold down the shutter and observe the performance of your old cards compared to a new demo card in a store, you will have an idea of real world performance differences.

Sandisk and Lexar are the big names and have value lines and performance lines. Hitachi/IBM make microdrives which are cheaper but a little more prone to breaking because they aren't solid state but in fact a miniature harddrive. Other names that are probably good are Kingston & Delkin.

Lawrence

Search this Thread